Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Settlers 2 Local multiplayer second player distinction

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dose

Lost Dose

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hi there,

I am currently receiving some incredible support on these forums from Oldman960 with regards to some virus and malware issues, I was so impressed with the support that is offered here that I thought I would see if anyone could offer any potential solutions to a small issue I have been having.

There is a very old game called Settlers 2, part of the Settlers series. Settlers 2 goes back to the days of running games from DOS and you need a program like Dosbox to actually run the game.

Whilst the expansion pack has never worked on my P.C., the issue I would love some help with is actually with the main game. The game itself runs perfectly for me, the only issue that comes up is when trying to play local multiplayer.

I am not technically proficient with P.C's, but I'll try to share all the information I know about the issues and some information on potential solutions that I didn't fully understand/ couldn't implement.

Some information about my P.C. from an OTL log;

Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 7.0.5730.13)
Locale: 00000809 | Country: United Kingdom | Language: ENG | Date Format: dd/MM/yyyy

1,014.00 Mb Total Physical Memory | 687.00 Mb Available Physical Memory | 68.00% Memory free
5.00 Gb Paging File | 5.00 Gb Available in Paging File | 96.00% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 4000 4000 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 37.24 Gb Total Space | 22.36 Gb Free Space | 60.03% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 207.75 Mb Total Space | 0.00 Mb Free Space | 0.00% Space Free | Partition Type: CDFS
Drive E: | 279.39 Gb Total Space | 197.42 Gb Free Space | 70.66% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT32

Program used to run Settlers 2 in windows;

Dosbox 0.74

Issue;

When the game was developed, I am guessing because it was run from Dos, the computer was able to differentiate between a mouse as being Com1 and another as being Com2, thus with two mice plugged in you could control to separate pointers in the game. This meant you could play split screen with mouse 1 on the left half and mouse 2 on the right half.

Now when running it via windows, windows seems to accept both mice as inputs, but uses them both to control the one mouse pointer. As a result, the two mice fight for control over player 1's mouse and player two is uncontrolable.

Suggested and attempted solutions;

There are 2 videos on youtube for a solution to this problem.

1st video - I do not understand how he has done what he has done, nor if my P.C. has the capabilities to do this, I do know both my mice are USB mice, so I don't think this would work.

2nd video - Here he is using a mouse emulator to get the keyboard to function as a mouse, I did try this method and did successfully get my keyboard to function as a mouse (though using a different program from his I believe as I couldn't get his method to work), but alas it still controlled the first players screen and not player 2.

What I would love to get help with;

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for any methods to be able to independently control both players on this game. Settlers 2 is actually abandonware, so it is free to download the game online from various sites if anyone did want to have a play around, alternatively I can follow instructions well to make an attempt on my P.C. here.

Many thanks for any help, suggestions and time you can give to this little puzzle,
Jonny

Edited by Lost Dose, 13 March 2011 - 10:55 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi there Lost Dose :thumbup:

Have you tried a DOS box Emulator for XP?
http://www.bestoldga...net/eng/dosbox/

Another good site.
http://www.dosgames.com/essential.php

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Lost Dose

Lost Dose

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hi there Lost Dose :thumbup:

Have you tried a DOS box Emulator for XP?
http://www.bestoldga...net/eng/dosbox/

Another good site.
http://www.dosgames.com/essential.php

Cheers,
Lee

Hey Lee :)

How are you?

I already had it running through Dosbox 0.74, but I've downloaded this to give it a try instead. Only problem is that Settlers 2 seems to autorun through dosbox 0.74 and I'm not that computer savvy so cannot figure out how to get it to run via the new box to see if it makes a difference.

If I go to the properties tab of my settlers 2 it says that;

Target - "C:\Program Files\Oldgames\Settlers 2\dosbox.exe" -conf dosbox.play.conf
Start in - "C:\Program Files\Oldgames\Settlers 2"

The new dos box has;

Target - "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -userconf
Start in - "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74"

Do I just need to change something here to get it to use the new Dosbox? Or is there some sort of command I need to run from within the new dosbox?

Sorry for not being to technically proficient here :P

Thanks again for your help :)

Jonny

#4 zoe65

zoe65

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hi Lost Dose,
That Settlers II sounds like a fun game !

Have you had a look at Settlers 2.5 (Return to the Roots)? it's a fan based development which you may find worth looking at. Don't know if it's finished yet though. Sort of like the DEUS-EX revamp .(But that's another story)
http://macgamescout.org/settlers-25/

Also I found this on YOUTUBE using the slighly older 0.72 version of DOSBOX.
How to play with dosbox 0.72 and settlers 2 gold edition

Regarding the mouse thingi.....
Mouse drivers only provide one pointing device. Even if there are more connected to your computer, there is always only one 'cursor'. Therefore settlers 2 needs to acces the second mouse directly. As there was no USB at that time, serial was the only common way to connect a second mouse.
So you will need:
1. At least one serial port.
2. A serial mouse
3. A properly configured serial section in your dosbox.conf
4. Perhaps to disable the windows driver for the serial mouse
Serial are not that common, but they are still available. There are PS2 to serial 'adapters'. Be warned that these will only work with mice which internally support serial voltages and serial mouse protocol.

Anyway it IS possible to play Settlers 2 in splitscreen using Dosbox, apparently, as other people have.

People have all sorts of trouble matching older games with newer systems and computers.
I am impressed that you are pursuing this and good luck.

#5 Lost Dose

Lost Dose

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hey Zoe, I had no idea about that Settlers 2.5 but am extremely excited by it, thankyou so much for the link. Looks like I will have to purchase a serial mouse then :) I think I have a port for the mouse on the back of the P.C., though not entirely sure, it has this symbol by it; _ o - o - (basically |o|o| but turned 90 degrees.) Hopefully that is the symbol for a serial mouse. Then I will see if I can get the next two steps accomplished, would be great to play it splitscreen again, it really is one of those classic games that the sequels have never lived up to. Thanks so much for your advice, I'll yet you know if I have any luck!

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

Zoe (my wife) asked me to post this info. for you regarding a serial port mouse connection. [attachment=10197:ScreenClip000013.jpg] Cheers, Lee :thumbup:

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#7 zoe65

zoe65

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hi Lost Dose, The diagram you sent with the I0I0 does look like a serial port. On one of my older comps I have two of these. Do you?. The diagram above says that you have to configure it in the CMOS. Hmm I will ask where the diagram came from to get that next Section..

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

Hmm I will ask where the diagram came from to get that next Section.

This is the link from my diagram: http://www.computerh...es/ch000448.htm

Here is another useful link: http://www.carlmcmil...alportguide.htm

Cheers,
Lee