Tim K
Topic Starter
Hi,
I began having problems a few weeks ago when I noticed that Windows Updates I watched installing in the dialog box were not showing up as updates in Add/Remove Programs with the Show Updated box checked. I was running AVG Free 2011 and noticed it was supposedly updating but at one point no longer displayed the version or database numbers. I tried to use the Repair feature by using the Change button in Add/Remove Programs. The Window would open allowing me to select Repair and the program would start copying files then stop with an error message saying The installation failed because the MSI Installer could not be reached. I used the AVG Remover tool to uninstall AVG before trying to reinstall a fresh download of AVG Free 2011. Now I cannot install AVG at all, I keep getting an error message that says," General Internal Error: The MSI Installer could not be reached. This can happen if you are running Windows in safe mode (Which I was not). I looked into the AVG 2011 folder and saw a very unusual sight, a WMP icon showing as a DAT file. When right clicking this file and opening Properties It shows the WMP icon and says it opens with Notepad. I opened this and read through it it mentioned installing fake updates and fake scan logs. This is also a bit shocking because I had uninstalled and deleted Windows Media Player. At the first hint of problems I tried using some of the Microsoft Automated Fixes at MS Support some ran or appeared to but fixed nothing, some hung and some wouldn't run at all. I had Spybot S&D installed and ran it then the next day all the exe files were gone, shortcuts from the desktop, start menu, and the files in the Program Files folder were all changed to Unknown File Type icons and would not work. Also in there was another WMP icon DAT file that when properties was opened said it opened with Notepad. This same thing happened to my Malwarebytes. This tells me something evil is afoot. Also looking at running processes in HJT there were 25 running processes. I opened Task Manager for comparison and there were 32 processes running in Task Manager, struck me as odd that some things were hiding from HJT and not Task Manager.
Prior to this I also noticed there were some programs in Add/Remove Programs I did not want or need, such as MS Office 60 Day Free Trial, Microsoft Visual J# .NET Framework Redistributable Package 1.1. I researched the MS Visual J# and found it was a developer tool that I did not want or need. I tried to uninstall both these programs but could not. The Office program had a Remove Button, but did nothing. The MS Visual J# didn't have a Remove button and I could not locate it using Search, HJT, OTL, or Systemlook. While trying to locate this file I was looking in Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services and was researching any service that had no discription or Company Name. One of these I found was get Plus® Helper 3004. My research took me to Adobe where they said this was a part of the install files for Adobe 6.0 and should have deleted upon completion of install. They also said that if you still had this file in a NOS folder in C:\Program Files you should delete it since this had a vulnerability that can be exploited by a backdoor. I deleted the folder at C:\Program Files\NOS which contained the get Plus® Helper 3004 file, but after reboot get Plus® Helper 3004 is still running as a service. It was found by HJT and supposedly deleted with HJT, yet still remains. I was trying to remove this service with HJT and went to Services and clicked on Properties and to find the location of the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32\ but in C:\WINDOWS there was not a System32 folder only a system32 folder. While looking for the get Plus file I looked in the folder Installer, which was hidden. In there I found a Microsoft .NET folder and in there I found the Microsoft Visual J# folder with several JSharp files. After much frustration and very careful reading I downloaded ComboFix, saved it as Combo-Fix to desktop and ran a scan only. Lo and Behold the elusive jsharp files turned up for the first time. These appear to me to be malicious since the appear to self install and replace and/or block other files. I am posting the ComboFix log for your review. Thank you in advance for your time and your help. I am currently without any AV at all since I cannot install one. I would also like to get a reccomendation for a user friendly firewall since in my research I have discovered that Windows Firewall is pretty much swiss cheese. BTW, I have started getting a dialog box on boot up between the Windows black screen and my Log In box that has a 0 in the blue title bar and only a 0 in the dialog box. The only way to get past this is to click OK since the X to close does not work and there are no other buttons available.
ComboFix Log 3-2-11
ComboFix 11-03-02.01 - Owner 03/02/2011 13:33:21.1.1 - x86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.247.140 [GMT -6:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\[removed]\Desktop\Combo-Fix.exe
.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
D:\Autorun.inf
.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Drivers/Services )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
——-\Legacy_NPF
((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2011-02-02 to 2011-03-02 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
2011-03-01 19:55 . 2011-03-01 19:55 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData
2011-02-21 21:02 . 2011-02-21 21:02 ——– d—–w- c:\windows\system32\wbem\Repository
2011-02-21 19:35 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2011-02-21 19:35 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2011-02-18 13:33 . 2011-02-18 13:33 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\My Scans
2011-02-17 13:46 . 2011-02-17 13:46 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Template
2011-02-17 13:36 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- C:\MSOffice(2)
2011-02-15 18:52 . 2011-02-15 18:52 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\ElevatedDiagnostics
2011-02-10 17:48 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\RegScrubXP
2011-02-08 17:48 . 2011-03-01 20:20 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Trend Micro
2011-02-07 13:37 . 2011-02-07 13:37 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Reference Assemblies
2011-02-04 19:34 . 2011-02-04 19:34 190032 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\tmcomm.sys
2011-02-04 19:34 . 2011-02-04 19:34 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\log
.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
2011-01-21 14:44 . 2004-06-07 22:09 439296 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll
2011-01-10 18:16 . 2011-01-10 18:17 73728 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\javacpl.cpl
2011-01-10 18:16 . 2011-01-10 18:17 472808 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll
2011-01-07 14:09 . 2004-06-07 22:32 290048 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\atmfd.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 32768 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pchapi.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 114688 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\ZipLib.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 315392 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pchmsxml.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 26572 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\INV16.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 3072 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pchealthde.exe
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 5632 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\GUI.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 139264 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\ContentUpdater.exe
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 45056 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\util.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 24576 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pcdapi.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 98304 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\PluginCtrl.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 69632 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\msxmlwrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 344064 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\api.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 114688 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\asst_ui.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 282624 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\clientutil52.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 356352 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\client_motkt.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 20480 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\InetCheckWrap.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 49152 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\PCHI18N.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 307200 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\pchnotify.exe
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 77824 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\WinVerifyTrust.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 4096 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\winverifytrustwrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 315392 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\pchmsxml.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 212992 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\jsharpinterp.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 159744 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\PCHButton.exe
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 434176 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\motivede.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 36864 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\gnu.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 49152 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\hwinv.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 126976 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\SearchCtrl.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 77824 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\FDIWrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 69632 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\msxmlwrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 307200 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\pchealthplugin.dll
2010-12-31 13:10 . 2004-04-02 06:52 1854976 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys
2010-12-22 12:34 . 2004-06-07 22:32 301568 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\kerberos.dll
2010-12-20 23:59 . 2004-01-22 07:16 916480 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2010-12-20 23:59 . 2004-06-07 22:33 43520 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\licmgr10.dll
2010-12-20 23:59 . 2004-06-07 22:32 1469440 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl
2010-12-20 17:26 . 2004-06-07 22:33 730112 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\lsasrv.dll
2010-12-20 12:55 . 2011-01-06 16:07 385024 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\html.iec
2010-12-09 15:15 . 2004-04-02 06:52 718336 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
2010-12-09 14:30 . 2004-06-07 22:32 33280 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\csrsrv.dll
2010-12-09 13:38 . 2004-04-02 06:52 2192768 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
2010-12-09 13:07 . 2002-08-29 08:04 2069376 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
.
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"HotKeysCmds"="c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe" [2004-08-20 118784]
"KBD"="c:\hp\KBD\KBD.EXE" [2003-02-12 61440]
"Recguard"="c:\windows\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE" [2004-04-14 233472]
"AGRSMMSG"="AGRSMMSG.exe" [2004-06-29 88363]
"Reminder"="c:\windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe" [2003-12-18 118784]
"AlcxMonitor"="ALCXMNTR.EXE" [2004-09-07 57344]
"IgfxTray"="c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe" [2004-08-20 155648]
"EKIJ5000StatusMonitor"="c:\windows\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\EKIJ5000MUI.exe" [2010-09-02 1638400]
"Conime"="c:\windows\system32\conime.exe" [2008-04-14 27648]
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mmc.exe"=
S2 Kodak AiO Network Discovery Service;Kodak AiO Network Discovery Service;c:\program files\Kodak\AiO\Center\ekdiscovery.exe [9/13/2010 5:18 PM 308656]
S2 LinksysUpdater;Linksys Updater;"c:\program files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\bin\LinksysUpdater.exe" -s "c:\program files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\conf\wrapper.conf" –> c:\program files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\bin\LinksysUpdater.exe [?]
S4 nosGetPlusHelper;getPlus® Helper 3004;c:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k nosGetPlusHelper [6/7/2004 4:09 PM 14336]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\svchost]
nosGetPlusHelper REG_MULTI_SZ nosGetPlusHelper
.
**************************************************************************
catchme 0.3.1398 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2011-03-02 13:41
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS
scanning hidden processes …
scanning hidden autostart entries …
scanning hidden files …
scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0
**************************************************************************
.
——————— LOCKED REGISTRY KEYS ———————
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1847296987-2612838788-886327785-1003\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AddressBook*]
@Allowed: (Read) (RestrictedCode)
@Allowed: (Read) (RestrictedCode)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}]
@Denied: (A 2) (Everyone)
@="FlashBroker"
"LocalizedString"="@c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe,-101"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}\Elevation]
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}\LocalServer32]
@="c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}\TypeLib]
@="{FAB3E735-69C7-453B-A446-B6823C6DF1C9}"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\Interface\{E3F2C3CB-5EB8-4A04-B22C-7E3B4B6AF30F}]
@Denied: (A 2) (Everyone)
@="IFlashBroker4"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\Interface\{E3F2C3CB-5EB8-4A04-B22C-7E3B4B6AF30F}\ProxyStubClsid32]
@="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\Interface\{E3F2C3CB-5EB8-4A04-B22C-7E3B4B6AF30F}\TypeLib]
@="{FAB3E735-69C7-453B-A446-B6823C6DF1C9}"
"Version"="1.0"
.
——————— DLLs Loaded Under Running Processes ———————
- - - - - - - > 'explorer.exe'(3304)
c:\windows\system32\WININET.dll
c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll
c:\windows\system32\webcheck.dll
.
———————— Other Running Processes ————————
.
c:\windows\system32\netdde.exe
c:\program files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe
c:\windows\system32\wscntfy.exe
c:\windows\AGRSMMSG.exe
c:\windows\ALCXMNTR.EXE
.
**************************************************************************
.
Completion time: 2011-03-02 13:45:28 - machine was rebooted
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2011-03-02 19:45
Pre-Run: 63,519,031,296 bytes free
Post-Run: 63,451,639,808 bytes free
WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
UnsupportedDebug="do not select this" /debug
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
- - End Of File - - 590401070616869110C053022084D660
I began having problems a few weeks ago when I noticed that Windows Updates I watched installing in the dialog box were not showing up as updates in Add/Remove Programs with the Show Updated box checked. I was running AVG Free 2011 and noticed it was supposedly updating but at one point no longer displayed the version or database numbers. I tried to use the Repair feature by using the Change button in Add/Remove Programs. The Window would open allowing me to select Repair and the program would start copying files then stop with an error message saying The installation failed because the MSI Installer could not be reached. I used the AVG Remover tool to uninstall AVG before trying to reinstall a fresh download of AVG Free 2011. Now I cannot install AVG at all, I keep getting an error message that says," General Internal Error: The MSI Installer could not be reached. This can happen if you are running Windows in safe mode (Which I was not). I looked into the AVG 2011 folder and saw a very unusual sight, a WMP icon showing as a DAT file. When right clicking this file and opening Properties It shows the WMP icon and says it opens with Notepad. I opened this and read through it it mentioned installing fake updates and fake scan logs. This is also a bit shocking because I had uninstalled and deleted Windows Media Player. At the first hint of problems I tried using some of the Microsoft Automated Fixes at MS Support some ran or appeared to but fixed nothing, some hung and some wouldn't run at all. I had Spybot S&D installed and ran it then the next day all the exe files were gone, shortcuts from the desktop, start menu, and the files in the Program Files folder were all changed to Unknown File Type icons and would not work. Also in there was another WMP icon DAT file that when properties was opened said it opened with Notepad. This same thing happened to my Malwarebytes. This tells me something evil is afoot. Also looking at running processes in HJT there were 25 running processes. I opened Task Manager for comparison and there were 32 processes running in Task Manager, struck me as odd that some things were hiding from HJT and not Task Manager.
Prior to this I also noticed there were some programs in Add/Remove Programs I did not want or need, such as MS Office 60 Day Free Trial, Microsoft Visual J# .NET Framework Redistributable Package 1.1. I researched the MS Visual J# and found it was a developer tool that I did not want or need. I tried to uninstall both these programs but could not. The Office program had a Remove Button, but did nothing. The MS Visual J# didn't have a Remove button and I could not locate it using Search, HJT, OTL, or Systemlook. While trying to locate this file I was looking in Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services and was researching any service that had no discription or Company Name. One of these I found was get Plus® Helper 3004. My research took me to Adobe where they said this was a part of the install files for Adobe 6.0 and should have deleted upon completion of install. They also said that if you still had this file in a NOS folder in C:\Program Files you should delete it since this had a vulnerability that can be exploited by a backdoor. I deleted the folder at C:\Program Files\NOS which contained the get Plus® Helper 3004 file, but after reboot get Plus® Helper 3004 is still running as a service. It was found by HJT and supposedly deleted with HJT, yet still remains. I was trying to remove this service with HJT and went to Services and clicked on Properties and to find the location of the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32\ but in C:\WINDOWS there was not a System32 folder only a system32 folder. While looking for the get Plus file I looked in the folder Installer, which was hidden. In there I found a Microsoft .NET folder and in there I found the Microsoft Visual J# folder with several JSharp files. After much frustration and very careful reading I downloaded ComboFix, saved it as Combo-Fix to desktop and ran a scan only. Lo and Behold the elusive jsharp files turned up for the first time. These appear to me to be malicious since the appear to self install and replace and/or block other files. I am posting the ComboFix log for your review. Thank you in advance for your time and your help. I am currently without any AV at all since I cannot install one. I would also like to get a reccomendation for a user friendly firewall since in my research I have discovered that Windows Firewall is pretty much swiss cheese. BTW, I have started getting a dialog box on boot up between the Windows black screen and my Log In box that has a 0 in the blue title bar and only a 0 in the dialog box. The only way to get past this is to click OK since the X to close does not work and there are no other buttons available.
ComboFix Log 3-2-11
ComboFix 11-03-02.01 - Owner 03/02/2011 13:33:21.1.1 - x86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.247.140 [GMT -6:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\[removed]\Desktop\Combo-Fix.exe
.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
D:\Autorun.inf
.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Drivers/Services )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
——-\Legacy_NPF
((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2011-02-02 to 2011-03-02 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
2011-03-01 19:55 . 2011-03-01 19:55 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\MFAData
2011-02-21 21:02 . 2011-02-21 21:02 ——– d—–w- c:\windows\system32\wbem\Repository
2011-02-21 19:35 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2011-02-21 19:35 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2011-02-18 13:33 . 2011-02-18 13:33 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\My Scans
2011-02-17 13:46 . 2011-02-17 13:46 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Template
2011-02-17 13:36 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- C:\MSOffice(2)
2011-02-15 18:52 . 2011-02-15 18:52 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\ElevatedDiagnostics
2011-02-10 17:48 . 2011-02-21 21:01 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\RegScrubXP
2011-02-08 17:48 . 2011-03-01 20:20 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Trend Micro
2011-02-07 13:37 . 2011-02-07 13:37 ——– d—–w- c:\program files\Reference Assemblies
2011-02-04 19:34 . 2011-02-04 19:34 190032 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\tmcomm.sys
2011-02-04 19:34 . 2011-02-04 19:34 ——– d—–w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\log
.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
2011-01-21 14:44 . 2004-06-07 22:09 439296 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll
2011-01-10 18:16 . 2011-01-10 18:17 73728 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\javacpl.cpl
2011-01-10 18:16 . 2011-01-10 18:17 472808 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll
2011-01-07 14:09 . 2004-06-07 22:32 290048 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\atmfd.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 32768 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pchapi.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 114688 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\ZipLib.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 315392 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pchmsxml.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 26572 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\INV16.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 3072 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pchealthde.exe
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 5632 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\GUI.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 139264 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\ContentUpdater.exe
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 45056 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\util.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 24576 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\pcdapi.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 98304 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\PluginCtrl.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 69632 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\msxmlwrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 344064 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\api.dll
2011-01-06 16:09 . 2011-01-06 16:09 114688 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\asst_ui.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 282624 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\clientutil52.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 356352 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\client_motkt.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 20480 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\InetCheckWrap.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 49152 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\PCHI18N.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 307200 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\pchnotify.exe
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 77824 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\WinVerifyTrust.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 4096 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\winverifytrustwrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 315392 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\pchmsxml.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 212992 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\jsharpinterp.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 159744 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\PCHButton.exe
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 434176 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\motivede.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 36864 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\gnu.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 49152 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\hwinv.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 126976 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\SearchCtrl.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 77824 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\FDIWrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 69632 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\jsharpde\msxmlwrapper.dll
2011-01-06 16:08 . 2011-01-06 16:08 307200 —-a-w- c:\windows\pchealth\HelpCtr\Vendors\CN=Hewlett-Packard,L=Cupertino,S=Ca,C=US\Presario\XPHNARS4EN\plugin\bin\pchealthplugin.dll
2010-12-31 13:10 . 2004-04-02 06:52 1854976 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys
2010-12-22 12:34 . 2004-06-07 22:32 301568 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\kerberos.dll
2010-12-20 23:59 . 2004-01-22 07:16 916480 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2010-12-20 23:59 . 2004-06-07 22:33 43520 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\licmgr10.dll
2010-12-20 23:59 . 2004-06-07 22:32 1469440 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl
2010-12-20 17:26 . 2004-06-07 22:33 730112 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\lsasrv.dll
2010-12-20 12:55 . 2011-01-06 16:07 385024 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\html.iec
2010-12-09 15:15 . 2004-04-02 06:52 718336 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
2010-12-09 14:30 . 2004-06-07 22:32 33280 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\csrsrv.dll
2010-12-09 13:38 . 2004-04-02 06:52 2192768 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
2010-12-09 13:07 . 2002-08-29 08:04 2069376 —-a-w- c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
.
.
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"HotKeysCmds"="c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe" [2004-08-20 118784]
"KBD"="c:\hp\KBD\KBD.EXE" [2003-02-12 61440]
"Recguard"="c:\windows\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE" [2004-04-14 233472]
"AGRSMMSG"="AGRSMMSG.exe" [2004-06-29 88363]
"Reminder"="c:\windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe" [2003-12-18 118784]
"AlcxMonitor"="ALCXMNTR.EXE" [2004-09-07 57344]
"IgfxTray"="c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe" [2004-08-20 155648]
"EKIJ5000StatusMonitor"="c:\windows\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\EKIJ5000MUI.exe" [2010-09-02 1638400]
"Conime"="c:\windows\system32\conime.exe" [2008-04-14 27648]
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mmc.exe"=
S2 Kodak AiO Network Discovery Service;Kodak AiO Network Discovery Service;c:\program files\Kodak\AiO\Center\ekdiscovery.exe [9/13/2010 5:18 PM 308656]
S2 LinksysUpdater;Linksys Updater;"c:\program files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\bin\LinksysUpdater.exe" -s "c:\program files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\conf\wrapper.conf" –> c:\program files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\bin\LinksysUpdater.exe [?]
S4 nosGetPlusHelper;getPlus® Helper 3004;c:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k nosGetPlusHelper [6/7/2004 4:09 PM 14336]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\svchost]
nosGetPlusHelper REG_MULTI_SZ nosGetPlusHelper
.
**************************************************************************
catchme 0.3.1398 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2011-03-02 13:41
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS
scanning hidden processes …
scanning hidden autostart entries …
scanning hidden files …
scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0
**************************************************************************
.
——————— LOCKED REGISTRY KEYS ———————
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1847296987-2612838788-886327785-1003\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AddressBook*]
@Allowed: (Read) (RestrictedCode)
@Allowed: (Read) (RestrictedCode)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}]
@Denied: (A 2) (Everyone)
@="FlashBroker"
"LocalizedString"="@c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe,-101"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}\Elevation]
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}\LocalServer32]
@="c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\Macromed\\Flash\\FlashUtil10m_ActiveX.exe"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\CLSID\{A483C63A-CDBC-426E-BF93-872502E8144E}\TypeLib]
@="{FAB3E735-69C7-453B-A446-B6823C6DF1C9}"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\Interface\{E3F2C3CB-5EB8-4A04-B22C-7E3B4B6AF30F}]
@Denied: (A 2) (Everyone)
@="IFlashBroker4"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\Interface\{E3F2C3CB-5EB8-4A04-B22C-7E3B4B6AF30F}\ProxyStubClsid32]
@="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Classes\Interface\{E3F2C3CB-5EB8-4A04-B22C-7E3B4B6AF30F}\TypeLib]
@="{FAB3E735-69C7-453B-A446-B6823C6DF1C9}"
"Version"="1.0"
.
——————— DLLs Loaded Under Running Processes ———————
- - - - - - - > 'explorer.exe'(3304)
c:\windows\system32\WININET.dll
c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll
c:\windows\system32\webcheck.dll
.
———————— Other Running Processes ————————
.
c:\windows\system32\netdde.exe
c:\program files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe
c:\windows\system32\wscntfy.exe
c:\windows\AGRSMMSG.exe
c:\windows\ALCXMNTR.EXE
.
**************************************************************************
.
Completion time: 2011-03-02 13:45:28 - machine was rebooted
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2011-03-02 19:45
Pre-Run: 63,519,031,296 bytes free
Post-Run: 63,451,639,808 bytes free
WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
c:\cmdcons\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
UnsupportedDebug="do not select this" /debug
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
- - End Of File - - 590401070616869110C053022084D660