This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Acronis

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I want to do regular full backups. My problem is the destination. If i choose the same, I am told the backup xists. if i choose a new destination, it seems as though they get combined into one backup. What is the way to choose a destination for weekly full backups and what do you label each? Thank you
You don't do weekly FULL back up's, if you do, these replace the previous one, no point keeping identical back up's (apart from the extra data each time), thats my take on it anyway, to begin you need to understand what you want to achieve in the back up, it's recommended to do a full back up on a fresh install, these speeds up recovering the system if the worst happens, after this you only need to do incremental back up's, these add the extra data each time without everything the full back up already contains, if you could explain why you're wanting to do full weekly back up's people can advise the most effective way to achieve you're end goal, hope this helps a bit.
Since my last post, I have found an easy way to choose a destination without a mess by entering the date of the backup.I did not know you could type in the box. I think I added the .tib by ticing "generate name". The way I backup, I do not replace the previous ones as I select "new". I do know what you mean about the full as opposed to the incremental backup. I chose to backup weekly and keep about 3 or 4 of them because I am really backing up for 2 simple reasons; 1-pick up a dropped file, 2- recover from a disaster. I do not have a business being retired and have no great sophistcated need to backup for other reasons. I know it makes more sense to perform full followed by incremental but at my relatively low level of expertise, Acronis can be a bit intimidating if you stray too far from center line. Out of curiosity, if I performed 3 incrementals after a full and either wish to retrieve a file or recover my system, would I do anything other than click on "update" to obtain a current backup? Thank you for your interest.
Peter, I personally perform manual "full backup" each time I back up my C:\ partition. I also periodically (once every few months) physically install a spare HD into my machine, and perform a Recovery….. just to verify that my backup is competent. Using "incremental backup" is not comfortable to me, because I don't like the idea of Acronis having to successively reference to several backups when performing Recovery. This is "manageable" for me, because the size of my .iso images is relatively small and I don't have a huge daily influx of new business data to guard. If I had a much larger and more frequently changing data base, I would consider "incremental" to save processing time.
>>If I had a much larger and more frequently changing data base, I would consider "incremental" to save processing time. I agree. Your email was comforting reading as it defines my imaging activities with Acronis. Once a week I do allow Win 7 backup and recovery to backup the system, just in case.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI