Upgrading the firmware could most certainly resolve issues that effect both wired and wireless computers. The purpose of the factory reset is to make sure we are starting from a clean slate.
Anyways, thats all that can be done concerning your router. The router is bad, or more likely the problem resides on your computers.
Please visit the malware removal forum with one of your computers and have it checked out for malware as this sounds like software issues on your computers and could likely be malware. The fact that none of your game devices (or other devices that can't be infected with malware) are working fine reinforces this idea.
Lets have a check up done on just one of your computers, the one that is giving you the most trouble, and then come back here if the problem is not resolved on that computer afterwards and we will look into software issues.
I was thinking about your problem a little more.
Make sure you don't have some non-standard DNS settings from your old provider on your computers.
I'm not sure what operating systems you have.
This is how you do it in Windows XP.
Go into control panel -> networking. Locate your local area connection (or wireless connection if you use that), right click it, click properties. Locate the TCP/IP protocol, highlight it, and click properties. Make sure your IP and DNS settings are set to "obtain automatically."
Yea, just double checked. It's all set to Auto. I did find in my router manager the clone MAC option. I turned that on and cloned my PC's MAC since, I read that, Comcast assigns a single IP to a system's MAC address (sorta like windows reg and a hash number). Cloning is supposed to trick the modem into reading it as the computer and avoid problems that it'd cause. Hopefully that works.
The Malware option is just too unlikely. All 3 run internet security packages. (antivirus, spyware, firewall) and the 2 wireless are set to higher security than my own to prevent them even more from accidentally installing something without my permission first. I did uninstall the only program they shared since getting Comcast, to be share it wasn't complicating things. (program that came with the router, "Network Magic".
For all 3 PCs to get the share malware, at the same time, and to coincide with the first day of starting Comcast…
I agree. Its possible cloning the MAC would work, but that would only indicate there is another problem as this absolutely should not fix anything. Power cycling the modem is the only thing that needs to happen under some circumstances when you plug in a different device to it. Which we already performed. MAC cloning is not intended for this purpose, and in reality, I can't think of a single situation where MAC cloning would be required now a days. It would be only to try and circumvent limitations or restrictions put in place by your ISP.
It may not be malware, but that does not mean that it isn't software on all 3 computers. Any security, firewall, or networking software could be interfering. As well as any toolbars, or other add-ons in your browsers.
I'm sorry, but unless the router is bad, there is just nothing here to indicate there is a problem with either the modem, router, or configuration. Everything points to software issues on your computers.
If you'd like, post a PCPitStop test that I can look at from one of the computers. This will give me ideas for what software could be causing the issue, but don't be surprised if I ask you to uninstall half or more of it in order to make sure its not what is causing your issues.
How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
Click "Create a free account"
Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/…' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.
Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.
Still got invalid URLs after cloning. I'm not really interested in uninstalling half my system to find a problem that started by switching ISPs. There's only 1 program that was installed, let alone on all 3 computers, between Saturday when I was on DSL with everything working fine and Monday after switching to Comcast and the router was setup with it's beginner's file/print sharing software. I can tell you, despite that, there's a very short list of software that all 3 PCs share and they've been there a long time. Regvac, Alcohol 120%, Paint Shop Pro, Firefox, Google Chrome and some old games which don't use the internet or even the network. I left out the firewall/antivirus because mine is made by a different company. (the wireless have Trendmicro while I have Norton 360)
The service works just fine if I cut out the router and other 2 computers with it. Process of elimination points to either the router itself (which would uncommon of Linksys), router settings or how Comcast deals with multiple PCs sharing one internet account without buying extra IPs. (not sure if they still do that anymore)
I'll call Comcast and see what they say, if anything. Maybe they don't use DCHP. (PPPoE or static IP instead maybe) My router is on their compatible list, so hopefully they'll say more than "ask Linksys".
You're not really listening. I've already taken you through the router configuration, and I already know how cable IPSs, especially Comcast, work. I've set these things up dozens of times.
Your router was configured properly following my directions I posted previously. You have already determined there is no problem with the cable modem. The two devices are compatible with each other.
If you insist it is nothing on your computers, then its a bad router. Replace it. Comcast isn't going to help because there isn't anything wrong with their service or modem from the sounds of it.
One last thing I would try is disconnecting ALL other devices both wireless and wired and leaving just ONE wired computer hooked up and see if it continues to act up. If it still does, try disconnecting that computer and connecting just ONE other computer and see if it still acts up. You could have a particular device on your network messing them all up.
Well I talked to them anyway and they're sending out one of their routers for free. (something the install guy could've mentioned while he was here) That'll rule out the router or not for sure. If it still acts up, then I'll resort to removing things. (easier and quicker to just reformat)
In meantime I'll try that last suggestion and turn off the wireless feature to make sure none of them are connected that way and use just the wired.
Well, I hope you get it figured out.
Stranger things have happened, and you just have to take a look at all the possibilities, no matter how strange they may seem. If the solution isn't obvious, you have to eliminate all the possibilities.
Keep us updated.
P.S. Make sure they aren't charging you a monthly fee for the "free" router.
I asked them straight on, they said since I "rent" the modem the router is covered under that fee. So, we'll see; they were so kind to charge me $10 for S&H because the local provider doesn't carry them. I had to talk to them anyway for a phone service, so got it all done at once.
Okay,they sent me a NETGEAR router.and I have had the router hooked up for a couple days now and not a single "invalid URL" or XML flash errors. So, despite being on the compatible list, it wasn't compatible with their modem/service. So, in the end, it was a hardware conflict. I'll still have to do a re-format in the future to clean up the system but not right away. On to finding out which add-on is slowing down flash animation in Firefox… (just remove them one at a time until it speeds back up)
Thanks for all the help though. I really appreciate it.
I'm glad you got things working for you.
But, do yourself a favor, and return the Linksys to the store for a replacement or refund, or see if it is under warranty through Linksys.
There isn't a compatibility issue. Everything points to a bad router.
Already done. I bought it from Best Buy, and I get 45 days to return for full refund. I waited two days after I got the router from Comcast, to make sure the problem was resolved, before taking it back to the store.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI