This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Inconsistent Internet Log On Problems

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

We are having very frustrating experiences when we try to log on to the internet through our wired desktop PC's. Most of the time when we first log on, we can't connect to the internet. In the lower left hand corner of the monitor, we see a message that says "Finding www.website.com" or "Looking up www.website.com." We will then get the screen page that says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" or another screen that that says something to the affect of needing to diagnose for a connection problem. No problems appear when I run the diagnosing connections problem option. After we try to log on to the internet after about 7 or 8 tries, it finally connects and we can surf freely with no problems. If we close down the internet and then to log on again later, the same problem happens. Every now and then, we will get lucky and get to connect to the internet the first time. I have some kind of generic modem from Comcast Cable and I am running the desktops through a Linksys Model WRT160N V2 Wired/Wireless router. I'm also running an Xbox 360 and PS3 through this router. I also have a 5 port Linksys Workgroup Switch because I ran out of ports and needed more for my new TV and Blu-ray player. The connection problems seemed to start when I installed this new router several months ago (the switch was added a few months later). I am also running Norton Internet Security 2010. I don't think the problem is with Norton because I have shut it down and I still have the same problem. I have even uninstalled Norton and still had the problem. Can someone please help me? I am also using IE 6. Thanks!
THe only thing I can say for sure is that you are having temporary DNS problems.

Can you confirm that this problem happens on more than one computer? Does it effect the game systems or blu-ray player?

When the computer is experiencing the problem what is the status of your network connection? Is it connected, disconnected, obtaining an IP address, limited or no connectivity?

When the computer is experiencing this problem what are the results if you ping your DNS server IP or gateway IP address as found with the IPCONFIG /ALL command?
The problem also happens on another desktop we have that is wired to the router. The game systems (which are also wired to the router) don't seem to be affected. They log in to the internet the first time. Our wireless laptops do not have any kind of problems logging onto the internet either. When the problem occurs, the lower left had of the monitor just says "Finding www.website.com" or "Looking up www.website.com." We will then get the screen page that says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" or another screen that that says something to the affect of needing to diagnose for a connection problem. Pinging DNS Server and IP Address says everything that was sent was received.
When the desktop is having the problem (and only when it is having the problem) please click start -> run and copy and paste the following command:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad.exe postme.txt"

The command will take a few seconds to run and notepad will open with some information. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here and then close notepad.

In your original message you said the problem re-occurs everytime you close down the the internet and log back on. What do you mean exactly? You have an "always on" internet connection so there is no logging on and logging off. Do you mean you close internet explorer down, shutdown your computer, or what?
When I say that I close down the internet, I mean I only close down IE. Of course when I close down the computer itself and try to log back on to the internet, the problem occurs then too. When I ran your command when I could not get onto the internet, here's the notepad message: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D8QSNR41 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net. Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net. Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-EA-A1-58 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : [removed] 68.87.69.150 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:39:36 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:39:36 AM Pinging yahoo.com [69.147.125.65] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 69.147.125.65: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=49 Reply from 69.147.125.65: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=49 Reply from 69.147.125.65: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=49 Reply from 69.147.125.65: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=49 Ping statistics for 69.147.125.65: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 61ms, Average = 58ms
Please open contorl panel -> internet options and then click the connections tab. Click the LAN settings button and make sure everything is unchecked in there, apply your changes. Restart IE and see if your problem persists.
All boxes were unchecked. Here's the screens I was talking about that come up many times when I try to go to a webpage sometimes. Of course, when I try it again it goes to the webpage very quickly. These are now even coming up after I've had IE6 up for awhile surfing. My daughter has IE7, but she is getting these same screens many times too on her wired desktop. What's weird is that we don't have any problem going to websites our with wireless connected laptops. I've also tried rebooting the modem several times to no avail. When I tried to get onto the internet this morning, it took me about 10 tries before I could my homepage website to come up. Very frustrating. Oops! Internet Explorer could not find www.vgarabia.com Suggestions: Access a cached copy of www.­vgarabia.­com/­2010/­04/­10/­splinter-­cell-­conviction-­got-­a-­great-­score-­from-­game-­informer/­ Search on Google: The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems…" Other options to try: Click the Refresh button, or try again later. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly. To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting). Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings. Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK. Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed. If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0. Click the Back button to try another link. Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI