Trying to get the lower case off. I've removed ALL the screws, checked under the bumpers and labels for more. It still won't come off; seems to be somehow fastened in the area of the back panel. Does anyone know what I'm missing?
Hello chmaier,
Welcome the the WTT Forums.
Laptops and the Toshiba Satellite in particular aren't my area of expertise, but have you taken the battery out? This might stop the chassis from opening up.
And before you go any further, have you taken all the necessary precautions to reduce the chances of Electro-Static damage, electrical shocks and short circuits?
Cheers,
Nahumi
Thanks, I got lucky and figured it out. I need to replace the motherboard power jack, but it appears that no one sells it on line. They will be happy however to replace it for you for $110 plus freight. I'm just going to hard wire it.
A lot of the satellites have a jack that is not soldered on the motherboard. It is attached via a cable and the jack is mounted to the case. The mounts usually break and the jack falls into the case and becomes unusable. Thus requiring you to rebuild the entire thing with a ton of epoxy and chips of wood, or rolled up paper.
Either way, I get most power jacks from dcpowerjacks.net, and you can get the cabled jacks on Ebay. There is one particular jack that is like 6mm x 3mm which is hard to get but you can get it on Ebay for around $20 - $25. The problem is that the listings are often not real clear if they are the 5.0 or the 6.0mm jack.
And to finish this post off, there is almost no laptop in existence that comes apart from the bottom up. Almost every laptop comes apart from the top down. I'm sure you discovered this. This means you have to remove all the screws from the bottom, and possibly the back. Then remove the power button panel, keyboard, screen, and then palmrest. At this point you can see the motherboard and remove the motherboard if necessary or repair the jack. In most instances the bottom cover (that you are trying to remove) is actually the last object standing after you remove everything else.
Thanks! I should have posted a follow-up. I figured out how to do the disassembly; there were screws hidden under the keyboard. Then I found the jack on ebay for $1.75. As I write this I'm preparing to reassemble it. the jack is a piece of junk but it failed because the plunge switch that turns the power off when the monitor folds down was broken so the user (my grandson) was constantly stressing the jack by yanking on the cable to disconnect it.
I intend to solder the jack back in and secure it with a goodly dollop of 2 part epoxy. If (or when?) it fails again the nect go-round will be easier.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI