Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Frustration learning .Net programming

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ToddB

ToddB

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

I am a programmer by trade although my expertise lies within legacy mainframe (Cobol, JCL, etc.). I decided some time ago to go back to school and get instruction in VB & C#.Net and MS SQL. I also have available to me a lot of online classes in C#. The problem with the online classes is they are not in a progression and I do not know enough about C# to know which class to take in a logical progression. The shift from procedural programming to an object mindset has been hard for me and I am getting frustrated with my progress. I was hoping to get some input as to the best way to “learn” a language such as C#? Would learning VB first be beneficial then C#? Should I focus initially on OOP concepts and structure before I learn a particular language? Which is the best way to learn OOP and a language “hands on” (i.e. doing) vs my online work which is just reading/listening and taking a short test afterwards. I feel these online classes could be beneficial it is just the C# platform seems so vast and comprehensive I just don’t know a logical progression to tackle it. I “think” what I am looking for is just an approach to get a solid understanding of the fundamentals of VB and C# so I able to determine where to go from there. Any advice on a way to approach this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Look for a "Teach yourself xxx in 21 days" book by Sams Publishing. These things are awesome and will give you everything you need to know to get a strong grasp and be productive programming in any language.

http://www.amazon.co.....c# in 21 days

http://www.amazon.co...f VB in 21 days

Sams publishing is the way to go....

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 AceOfBlades

AceOfBlades

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Comp Sci, UI Design, MineCraft, AI

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

I used w3schools to learn some markup like html and css. (Their javascript tutorial isn't very good.) As far as C# went, I would recommend Visual C# Express (free) as it is a very comfortable IDE. For tutorials, there are some pretty bad ones out there. Many people tell me about TheNewBoston tutorials, and tell me how good they are. However, when I ask them about simple programming techniques, it didn't go too well. TheNewBoston really teaches GUI concepts like buttons, not physical, hard coding. I honestly found C# really easy to pick up since I had programmed in Java before, and they are very similar languages. http://www.csharp-st...CSharp/Lesson01 This link may help you. It explains the basics while actually teaching you something. (It also has support for .NET users which is good.)

Edited by AceOfBlades, 13 March 2013 - 01:21 PM.

• pointer likes this
~The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese~