Hi Everyone, I just downloaded and ran the new release Microsoft Antispyware Removal Beta, it found 2 infected registry keys, and I have a paid for AdAware SE w/AddWatch, current version of SpBot, current version of SpywareBlaster and a paid for version of PestPatrol, I update them all regularly and run them approx every 3 days, call me cautious, call me anal - but I will now be running the new MS program as well, it has a few other options that you can opt-out of if you wish, good luck
I did the same thing a few minutes ago after reading your post and Microsoft Antispyware found 8 infected areas and cleaned them all. None of these were found by Spybot, Spyware Guard, Ad-Aware, Norton or Spyware Blaster. I will continue to run them all, however, so that I can have a multilevel approach. It may be overkill BUT I don't like having any of that stuff on my computer.
:rant:
Well of course microsoft can find the infected areas, they are the reason they can get infected. But still. Just be careful running the Beta. I have 250 xp machines that I take care of and in the process of evaluating the beta, I have learned that the beta does not like some of our engineering programs. Always Rember it is a BETA!!!! So far I have not had too much trouble out of it. For a microsoft product.
Add to that bsome of what it finds will be false positives.
Some of the immunisations from spybot and from spywareblaster will be removed as malware by the new M$ program - to put those immunisations back you will need to do the immunisations in spybot and spywareblaster again.
As said before this is a BETA - and BETA stands for DONT WORK PROPERLY YET.
You have been warned.
I was looking though forums and found a post that lead to a artical in PCWorld. They did some extensive research on anti-spyware apps and just thought it would be something for us to look at as well.
Thought
Just reading the artical you don't need to bog down your system with tons of anti-wares apps running to get maximun protection, it seems to be that running the right combonation of apps (1 or 2) will give you just as much protection. In addition if you turn off Active-X and Java during your browsing is that not enough. I know there are some sites that need to have those items to work right (like filling out a form or accessing a site with username an password) but is it nessasary to have them (java and active-x) running all the time? Any other opinions on this?