This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Start up difficult. Is XP corrupted?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a computer with XP that I use off-line for photo editing and word processing. When starting up I get a corrupted, scrambled screen. If I hit re-set it restarts and is a little clearer. It usually is OK after about 5 or 6 attempts at starting. I don't know if the problem is my OS or if it is the computer. Would it help if I reformatted my hard drive and reloaded XP? I built the computer myself and it worked well for several years, until this startup problem. I don't know how to load XP. Does anyone have a cookbook method that i could follow? My computer was being used online when this problem started. Does this sound like some sort of virus?
Welcome to WTT mr_chipps :thumbup:

Did you have Security installed when you went online and if so what ?
What Hardware are you running in your home build PC?.
How old is the PC and when was the last time it was cleaned and internally inspected ?

Lets first check your HDD.
Click on Start / My Computer / Right click on the C\: Drive icon - Local Disk (C:) and select Properties. Now click on the Tools tab. Now click on the Check Now… tab.
Select both check disk options and click on Start. When the info comes up to run after re-boot, click Yes. Re-boot. Don't touch anything until the check has finished.

To look at log:
Go to Start / Run and type or copy and paste: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit enter.
When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll down to "Winlogon" (right-hand side) and double-click on it. This is the log
created after running Checkdisk which will tell you if it has done any file or other adjustments.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks for offering to help, Lee. Your questions; Yes, I had security. First Norton and then Macafee. I am running a ECS PT800CE-A mainboard with a Pentium 4, 3GHZ. It has only a few hours on it since I last cleaned it out. Tried your check and everything went as you described until I tried to bring up the event log. My computer can't find the event log. When I searched for eventvwr.msc/s I got the message, Windows cannot find eventvwr.msc/s.
OK. I now included the space. Clicked on Application but can't find "Winlogon" . I see a window with a list of files going back several years. They are headed "information". In opening the files with today's date I find messages about removing and re-installing Performance Counters and a couple of others saying "The windows security center service has started. Since we are working on an off line computer It's hard to give you screen shots. But if necessary I can take pictures and display them here. (If this site allows jpgs.)
Something is not happening correctly as "Winlogon" should be there in the Event viewer.

Ok, lets try this again but with different instructions.

1. Start / control panel / folder options / view / mark "Show hidden files and folders" /apply / ok

2. Start / run / cmd / copy and pate at the command prompt blinking point:: chkdsk /r
When asked "if you want this volume to be checked the next time the system re-starts ", enter y and then click on 'Enter" key. Restart and let run.

As soon as the scan is finished:
3. Open your Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools,
click on Event Viewer, double-click on Application, scroll
down until you see "Winlogon" and double-click on it.


Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit: This is what you are looking for.
[attachment removed]
Good morning, Lee.
I was able to follow your instructions and here is my winlog;

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

Anything there?
Hi mr_chipps, CHKDSK has cleaned up some files, but HDD seems OK. If you are still having the same boot problems and your video and mainboard drivers are up to date, I'd be suspecting a faulty PSU with an unstable start-up current draw, poor connections or faulty motherboard capacitors. It would be worth taking a very careful look at your motherboard for board discoloration and bulging or leaking capacitors (the upright cylindrical things). Also check the integrity of all connections, especially from the PSU. If all seems OK, I'd be suspecting a faulty PSU. You never mentioned what PSU you are using or how old it is (?) Can you try your PC with a borrowed and known to be good PSU, to see if the problem still exists? Failing that option, there are ways to test the PSU yourself, but personally I'd be taking it to a local PC tech. who would have the correct testing tools and who could check it out in 10min. Get a phone quote first. Cheers, Lee
Thanks, Lee. It's good to know that the OS is probably OK. PSU? If you mean the power supply it's pretty old. This is the second board I've had in this case. This power supply was first used on my win'98 machine. The electrolytic caps on the main board look OK. It's a pretty cheap fix to replace the power supply. If that doesn't do it the only thing left is the main board. How many times can I reload XP before it self destructs? Does it matter if it is installed in a machine that never goes online? I don't want to invest in a new board and find out that I can't use my copy of XP? It's an OEM copy that I bought from an electronics store.
The PSU is your power supply and your one might be a bit long in the tooth. It would be my main suspect as being faulty (incorrect boot-up power draw fluctuations), not the mainboard if it looks OK. Your OEM XP can keep installing endlessly as long as the disk itself is in good cond't. and the HDD is fine. Having said that, I think a reinstall would not solve the boot-up issue. It might be worth a shot before replacing the PSU but make sure you have everything backed-up first. It might not even be the PSU, but it is high on the suspect list, so a swap with a good one before buying another would be my best advice as I don't like recommending new hardware unless I know for sure it's the problem (replacing hardware one piece at a time until a problem is fixed can get expensive). I also have a PC I use off-line, but it has 98SE in it which is fine by me even though there is lack of MS support. It does what I need it to do fine, so I'm keeping your problem in perspective of what you are using the PC for. Cheers, Lee
I really appreciate your help, Lee. It makes these computer problems more bearable knowing that there are knowledgeable folks like you willing to shine some light on these mysteries.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI