This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] PC gets past the XP loading screen then crashes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there,

I recently got in contact with the forum with regard to my step son's PC; it had caught the "Your System is Infected" bug. With the help of CatByte,I got the computer up and running, and updated all my anti-virus, malware, and other programs as recommended. I don't know what's happened, but yesterday when the PC was turned on, it would load to the XP "loading" screen, but after that the screen went blank and when I moved the mouse, the screen went white and flickered a number of other colours. I tried checking all the wires to make sure there was nothing loose, but it still will not load. Can anyone help?
Rich.

ps. for details of previous virus info please see here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Your_system_…ed_t110029.html

Apologies also if this is the wrong forum for such an enquiry!
Hi, Will it start in safe mode? Are you able to start to the "Last Known God Configuration" restart the computer - tap F8 repeatedly till the option menu appears > arrow up to "last Know Good Configuration" see if wWindows will now load. It's hard to know what has happened as there were no remaining signs of malware at all. Hopefully it's not a hardware failure. Are there any error messages? Did you use the backup feature to back up all your important documents as it may be wise to reformat/reinstall.
Hi there, I managed to get it loaded with the F8 key and Last good starting point, and it seems to be ok now. There did not seem to be any error messages. All seems to be well at the moment, but if there are any further problems I'll let you know. Thanks once again for your time and help, Rich
That's good, but you should probably start a new topic in our hardware forum and let the techs there check to make sure there is no hardware failure, as I'm not certain without some testing what could have caused that. I will close this topic, but please do investigate further with our techs.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI