I'm building my first custom PC and struggling with figuring out the problem. Everything seems to be getting power just fine as all the lights and fans are working.
I pulled out the discrete graphics to see if it was causing a problem but I'm getting the same result with the integrated GPU. I tried with 1 DIMM and 1 empty RAM slot, switching the DIMM and slot, and there's no difference.
The DVD drive opens properly and the HDD makes some noises when it boots up, so I feel pretty safe assuming those are fine. All this leads me to believe it's either the CPU or motherboard. Also, the monitor is new so I have never seen it accepting input, but the screen turns on and comes up with the Acer display, and can detect when cables are plugged in or out, so it should be fine.
Does anyone have any idea how I should go about determining what the problem is (or isn't)?
One last thing: the case speaker isn't beeping at all. I tried turning the connector upside down to see if I had it plugged in the wrong way, but it didn't make beeps either way, so I put it back to the original orientation, which I believe is correct. I figured if the CPU were the problem, there would be some beeps, but maybe I'm too much of a beginner to have authority on that.
Specs:
APEX MicroATX case (the one with the handle… shouldn't matter to the problem)
–1 80mm rear fan
–1 120mm front fan
500GB WD SATA HDD
LG SATA DVD burner
Antec 380W Earthwatts PSU
ASRock 880G MicroATX motherboard
–http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157199
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus CPU
Palit Nvidia GTS 450 Sonic Edition GPU
4GB (2x2GB) G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
Acer 20" 1600x900 monitor
Thanks so much in advance for anyone's help. I thought I was going to be able to plug in my first build and have it work from the get-go, but I guess I was expecting too much.
Hello Slug1,
Welcome to the WTT Forums!
These may seem like very trivial questions, but it helps to have all the facts.
1. Have you used the monitor successfully on any other computers?
2. Have you plugged in and turned the monitor on? (I know, stupid question…but you;d be surprised).
3. When you built the computer, did you follow all the instructions when installing the CPU and fitting the heatsink? In particular, did you add any thermal paste, or check whether the heatsink had a thermal pad?
4. Does your PSU meet the minimum requirements of all the other components?
This last question is probably going to be the most likely problem. A 380 Watt PSU isn't particularly powerful, especially when you start using DDR3 RAM and components such as the GTS 450. IT might also be that the PSU is malfunctioning, but you won't be able to check that without trying to use a new PSU.
Thanks for the welcome!
My CPU cooler came with thermal paste pre-applied. I just went out and bought more so I could reinstall the processor, so I did that but got the same result. I believe I have followed all the directions correctly.
The PSU seems to be working as it is powering all of the components. Also, I have been trying to get the system to run with minimal hardware, so 1 DIMM, the CPU, and the IGP without discrete graphics. The PSU should definitely be more than capable of powering that, but I still see nothing.
I haven't tested the monitor with another computer, but I seriously doubt that's the problem. I will try it with a friends laptop though. The thing is I don't have the money or resources to be swapping parts to figure out what's working or not, so I've been diagnosing the hard way.
I honestly think I might have received a bad CPU. I've been getting help on another forum, and so far they haven't been able to recommend anything else that works. I'm still waiting for a response from them about the CPU.
Assuming at least 1 DIMM works, then the problem is most likely either my CPU or motherboard. The motherboard is powering all of the fans and lights properly, so at least something is working in there, but so far, I really have no indication of the CPU working. Granted it's a little more black and white than the motherboard (the CPU either works or doesn't; the motherboard can have bad parts) but still, I see my system's not working, I've re-installed everything with minimum hardware outside of the case to avoid shorting the motherboard, and everything seems to be getting power and turning on except for that mysterious CPU and the RAM (which again has 2 DIMM's, so I imagine at least 1 is good). What do you guys think?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI