This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow start up. Cpu usage high without and process using it.

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

@ Lee…

I never noticed that 2mb Doug.

That is 2 MB/s functional read/write speed.
Should be in the 50-65 MB/s functional read/write speed range, as these are SATA Hard Drives

Something is definitely wrong with C:\ and G:\

Most likely both are simply "choked" with too much stuff loaded on them.

But Jacob A should still investigate the DMA v PIO issue.
Hello Lee and Doug thanks for your replies! I will move my games to another harddrive when possible. I know I only have 20% and 11% but when I transfer stuff it takes forever… before I had maybe 10% on C: and 2-3% on G: and it started lagging after a reboot all the sudden so I dont think it is because I have low space left its more likely that my harddrive is failing or some error has occured, I had it like that for ages. Now that I think of it I think I installed something like Divx video with Chrome browser included but Chrome never installed right before it happened maybe it has something to do with my problem? Now I started my Device Manager and checked the first (I have two) Primary IDE Channel now the first one is set to DMA if available but in the Actual Transfermode it says: Non applicable. on both and on the second Primary IDE Channel I got it is set to DMA if available too but in the Actual Transfermode it says in the first: PIO-Mode and the second: Ultra DMA-Mode 6. It seems that this is the problem then? Do you know any tricks for this ? :) Also C: and G: is the same harddrive!
Did you investigate the DMA v PIO issue.as Doug recommended?

before I had maybe 10% on C: and 2-3% on G

That's not enough space left for efficient defraging. So gradually, performance has grown worse and everything is eventually going to grind to a halt. Probably sooner rather than later.

You really do need to free up some space, and defrag. your drives. It might take awhile to transfer stuff now, but soon you won't be able to do anything. It's your choice of course.

Cheers,
Lee
Hello Lee. Yes I know its not ideal and I will change this :) But I did check out the DMA v PIO and I wrote about it in my last post… did I explain it poorly or do you need more information? :)
Jacob,

Your HD controller counts the number of times that Errors are detected with read/write functions.
When the cumulative number of Error Detections reaches 6, the controller ratchets the read/write speed downward one notch
Additional Error Detection points precipitate sequentially slower read/write speeds until eventually it is set to PIO lowest
_________________

A few considerations:

1.
Read/Write error do occur
–unexpected power fluctuations/outages
–poorly written script
–physical HD sector faults

2.
Windows XP (and above) have identified and attempted to correct for system related errors, beginning with XP Service Pack 2

3.
There are known issues and fixes available from Microsoft

4.
There is a "workaround" that fixes nothing, but resets the controller-counter to give the machine a fresh 6 chances before speed is reduced.

5.
Using either the known fix or the workaround will allow your HD to perform at its top rated read/write speed.
**HOWEVER** by applying a fix or workaround, you are telling the machine:
"Yes, I know that read/write errors are occurring, but please don't trouble me, because it is annoying and I want my machine to run as fast as it can, even if it makes errors when doing so."

6.
Applying fix or workaround may "mask" actual symptoms of HD failure which should be alerting you to potential catastrophic failure that may be looming in the near or distant future.

7.
It is "safe" to apply the fix and/or workaround, but you should also perform a drive health scan using the manufacturer's utility.
I think your HDs are Western Digital. Western Digital has a good drive health utility.
____________________________

The simplest step to take would be to apply the recommended "workaround"
But it might also be least long-term solution, and the slow-down problem may return if errors continue to occur.

Workaround
( from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/ )

To re-enable the typical, or faster, transfer mode for an affected device:

1. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2. Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node.
4. Double-click the controller for which you want to restore the typical DMA transfer mode.
5. Click the Driver tab.
6. Click Uninstall.
7. When the process completes, restart your computer. When Windows restarts, the hard disk controller is re-enumerated and the transfer mode is reset to the default value for each device that is connected to the controller.


______________________________

The MS "fix" changes the way HD Controller "counts", from "cumulative 6" to only detecting if errors occur "6 times sequentially"
See the discussion of this fix for XP systems, here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/

The actual "fix" is available from MS, but has to be "downloaded" and then applied.
You must be sure that you download the correct fix for your OS.

Unless you know better, you are apparently running a 32-bit version of Windows XP
Have a look for yourself:

View System Properties

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
* For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
* For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version appears under System.
Note is a placeholder for a year.


Here's the location for you to download the actual "fix" from MS.
http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotf…&kbln=en-us

***Keep in mind, that during the process of regular updates your machine should already have received this "fix"

Microsoft makes it hard to get the "fix" because they want to make sure that you have carefully considered all of the above, before applying it.
Therefore they require that you
– request the fix
– supply an email address where you can receive it
– complete a captcha to verify that you are a real person and deliberately requesting the fix
_________________________-

What would I do?

I would make sure that my MS Updates are completely up to date.
I would apply the "workaround".
I would then be aware that errors have been occurring that may recommend Replacement of the HD.
I would make an .iso image backup of C:\ and G:\, plus create an emergency restore CD (I use and recommend Acronis 2011)
I would most likely replace the physical HD that contains C:\ and G:\

I would also follow the guidelines in my earlier posts in this Thread, to reduce the files that are allowed to install on C:\
_________________________

Let us know how you go with these suggestions.

Best Regards,

Doug
Additional note:

Regarding the number of files installed on C:\

I would start by uninstalling the various online malware scanners that you have recently installed.
They are all fine utilities, but do not always play nice when the exist on the same drive.

Yes, I realize they are "on-demand" and not "real-time".
But think about it…
Each has a very large library of references to hazardous elements.
If/when you run any one of them, they will necessarily scan each other (potentially finding false positives) and/or will run into obstacles causing a determination that a file or folder is locked or unreadable and cannot be scanned.
Plus your real-time Norman utility also has to scan them all when completing a full scan.

Additionally, you probably have your OS set to the default, which is to "index" all files.
Indexing those large libraries is time and resource intensive, and probably hasn't been completed as yet.

To prevent the above potentials, uninstall the utilities.
When you wish to run an online scan, take the extra time to freshly download and install the utility.
Or
When possible… install the online scan utility on a logical drive other than C:\
______________________

There are other issues of installed Software.
A few need to be uninstalled due to vulnerability.
Others are optional but may be resource hogs.


You may be correct about having large amounts of files on C:\ and G:\ for a long time and without any problem.
Then the "lag" developing "all of a sudden" – possibly with the installation of a resource intensive application, or a failed installation as you mentioned about Chrome.

Looking at your PCPitstop Results - Software - Installed Software, shows that maybe as much as 50% of your installed software was installed on or after 12/23/2010/
_______________________

As to - moving games and applications to other drives.
This is really a labor intensive operation.
The files cannot be simply copy/pasted to a new location.
They will have to actually be uninstalled and reinstalled to a new location.

For uninstalling, I suggest you get the excellent Revo Uninstaller.
The free version is fine. The paid version may be better in your instance of cleaning up from the several applications you will likely be moving.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst…e_download.html
Hello Doug. Yes this wokred like a charm I did the workaround and my computer immediately started performing like a Ferrari in comparison to before! I read your posts and I will try and follow your steps to make sure I got all the MS updates and use Western Digitals tools to check my hd health, in worst scenario I guess I have to replace it. Also the Acronis 2011 program looks like something I should look into and try to figure out why the errors occur in the first place! You all have alot good tips for me regarding my primary harddrive and I will look into all of them! Thanks alot Doug, Lee and Ztruker I am very grateful for all your help! Sincerely Jacob
Be careful about Acronis 2011 for the time-being.
There have been Members who have had serious problems with the recent version.
I run Acronis True Image 2009, and 2010 version 5055 and am delighted with the backup and restore.
It's been successful for me.

Others have had difficulty after updating to 2011 or even later versions in 2010.

Here's one episode of bad experience…
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=116348

I do anticipate that they will get it fixed.
They have had a pretty good history of keeping their tool in good shape over the years.
Hello again guys im not sure if I should start a new thread or continue on this one but my problem im afraid still persists! I did the workaround and it worked made my C: harddrive go back to udma 6 but after a while I restarted my computer and it just went back to PIO mode again. Now when I turn of my computer completely and try to start it again it doesnt get to the windows loading screen it says before "A disc read error occured please reboot your computer", one time it got stuck and one time it said there was a missing file in C:\windows directory. I tried pulling out all the harddrives one by one but I got the same "Disc read error" so its got to be my main harddrive. I only got it going after I was in bios for a while and didnt do anything just changing to safe settings and then back to optimal settings tried both and same error showed then it just worked suddenly with optimal settings and now I dont dare to turn it off cause it might not start again but I can reboot it without any problems execpt that it goes back to PIO mode. I have used the Western Digital tool, "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows" , extended test on all my harddrives but it doesnt detect any problems. I also got a BSOD with the error message: STOP: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x8A47B4B0, 0x8A47B624, 0x805D2954) I tried to get the "fix" but it just says that it is for Service Pack 1 but I choosed for SP2 when I downloaded it maybe I already have it. I just dont know if its really my harddrive that is failing or if its something else thats making the errors since the tests (Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows) show that the harddrives are fine but something is doing all the errors and making my computer not being able to startup (or well the harddrive). I hope there are some better tests that you could recommend to me or something that could solve my problem I will be glad for any kind of help! Thanks in advance! /Jacob

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI