This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

DVD Drive speed and related problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My DVD writer was operating normally until I reinstalled Windows. Now whenever I try to copy files from a DVD for example take ages to copy to any my drives(whether the main one or other, similar types), also other programs run slower while trying to do so. Burning files to a DVD drive and similar things take ages and have the same affect on other programs. I can not understand why since this wasn't an issue until I reinstalled Windows. Any ideas?

Edited
Actually I now realise that it started about 2 days or so afterward.
Drivers? and/or conflicting writing utilities? such as Nero vs. Roxio or simply Roxio without the necessary upgrades?
I already uninstalled the Nero version I was using but it didn't make any difference. It might just be a coincidence and the drive itself might just be getting too old. I'm seriously considering getting a new one soon, as the drive has had a few writing issues in the past few months that could be related.
I decided to install a new Windows installation on the other partition of my hard drive to see whether the problem would continue with that installation as well but it works fine with it, I tried installing some programs I thought may have caused the issue but it's still working fine, so clearly it seems not to be a hardware issue but rather a problem with my main Windows installation. As I said earlier I removed Nero and it didn't change anything. So I really would like to work out what the problem is so I can remove the other Windows installation, as currently I'm using it for the things I have trouble doing on this installation with my DVD writer. Any programs that can check for conflicting drivers for this issue or could it be ASPI related?
Have a look in both of your Windows XP installation to compare.

Start with the new installation.
Look in X:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\ (where X:\ is the root partition of your new XP installation)
you should have a folder for
CDEngive
CreateCD
CretorAPI
Support
System
Upgrade
_____________________–

If you find that in the old XP installation, there is no Adaptec Shared, then you may wish to install Windows ASPI drivers version v4.71.2

Download here: http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/softwar…i_471a2_exe.htm
I can't seem to get the installation of it for Windows XP to work. Once I run install.bat from the Start menu it just displays the different command options I need to use and then says press any key to continue and if I do it just disappears.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI