This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How Do You Turn Off User Account Control

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I get this message whenever I try to move, copy or delete files or when executing files that routinely needs to be executed. It announces, "User Account Control! Windows needs your permission to continue User account control helps stop unauthorized changes to your computer" I want to get rid of this command. How do I do it? The bigger problem here is the long pause between when I try to do something and the appearance of this frustrating and useless screen. That seems to be what's hanging the system up. My desktop is Windows 7 and my laptop is Windows Vista Home Edition, where this appears. Yes, I have one account set up as an administrator. Perhaps there is something there that will undo this whole thing?
Thanks for your reply. Another annoying feature: when I'm in Win 7 and I try to download something, I can only download to the Library/Document subdirectory. I can't seem to download to annywhere else. Windows XP didn't have such restrictive features. How do I undo these restrictions so I can download to any directory that I dayam well please? I'm noticing other glitches like, when I move something, they still show up in the directory until I actually do "Refresh." Am I not using the latest version of Win 7? Why are there still such unfinished/sloppy features in Win 7? I don't understand I have to put up with this.
No one that I've heard of reported downloads being restricted to the Library/Document subdirectory. Are you using IE8 that is part of Win 7? If so, try running it with no Add-ons, see if that makes a difference.

Click Start then Run, type iexplore -extoff and press Enter or click on Go.
– or –
Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Edit: Unless - are you using a restricted account that is not part of the Administrator group?

For the refresh problem, see here: Solved - Desktop refresh
Thanks, yes, I'm using IE 8 as part of Windows 7. Same thing without add ons. I actually fixed this by going into registry. Now I just realized, it's not just the download programs. When I try to save a picture from the Web, it still saves to the Libraries/Documents directory.

My question is: Windows 7 is supposed to be a finished product. It's not supposed to be like Vista. Aren't these glitches? Why am I encountering these glitches in a finished program?

No one that I've heard of reported downloads being restricted to the Library/Document subdirectory. Are you using IE8 that is part of Win 7? If so, try running it with no Add-ons, see if that makes a difference.
For the refresh problem, see here: Solved - Desktop refresh

From a post I just read: There were 20million lines of code in Win2000, 25mil in XP and 50m lines of code in Vista. How many bugs to expect in the next version.

Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has released to date in my opinion. It has less problems than any other initial release OS. It isn't and never will be perfect. There will always be problems, usually caused by unexpected hardware combinations or installed mix of software.

What was the registry change you made? Where did you find the info for it?
the easiest(and in my opinion,best) solution is to use another web browser like firefox which you can then set to ask where you want each downloaded file stored or change it to store them in any one folder on your pc. win 7 is definitely the best os microsoft have ever made, in my opinion too. i really liked win 95 and xp myself tho. :D :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI