This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows explorer keeps crashing

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It could be that some video files are bad and causing the problem. Do you get the problem when you drag any video files? Try recreating the problem… it might be that theres only one or few video files that are causing the problem.
Also, try removing the divx codec and install CCCP

I remember having your issue but I'm not quite sure what was causing it… I know I fixed it somehow and I think the culprit was bad video files.
These are constantly different video files, so it would be weird if they were all bad. I ran the system file checker with the XP Pro SP3 disc. I was away from the computer when it finished. Was it supposed to spit out results or save a log or something?

Please uninstall DivX and install the recommended codec pack uchkur recommended, or you can install this one also if you have trouble playing any of your video files: K-Lite Codec Pack

I'm in the process of doing that now. Are there any registry keys from the DivX codec or player that I should delete?
Messing with registry entries to uninstall a product is not recommended unless necessary. Please use Add/Remove programs in control panel.
Well I haven't been able to recreate the problem since switching to CCCP, so I think this is resolved. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI