This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How do I upgrade a Graphic card bios?

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Anyone here that has viewed the excruciating and ongoing problem of my wife Zoe's stuck in 800x600 resolution problem in W7 (gaming section), will be well aware of my angst. Fnally something new. We have just discovered that the 9800GT bios of her card is from the year 2000 ! It is quite possible that this is the cause of the W7 / 9800GT resolution problem. Plenty of fear here about such a bios upgrade, as it might just kill the Video Card if it goes wrong. Anyone have some advice or experience about Video Card bios upgrades? Cheers, Lee
no personal experience, but have read a lot of people on the overclocking forums upgrading their cards bios with no problems(usual), but also know of someone(doug knows him too,ig) who bricked a $1000(most expensive at the time,might not have been that much tho) card after having it for about a week too. from what i remember all you needed are 2 programs. 1 to copy and backup the original bias and then 1 to write the new bios to the card, can't remember the programs tho, think gpu-z might be one of them and the other depended on make of card nvidia or ati. good luck. :thumbup: :popcorn:
Thanks for that interesting info. Jimbo1. It just dawned on though that I also have a 9800GT card (a different brand) which has a very late bios version in it. and we swapped cards. Her card worked perfectly in my PC, but my card encountered the stuck 800x600 resolution problem in her PC. So it's obviously not her card bios causing the problem. Oh well, back to the drawing board I think :smack:
The never ending saga :wacko:

I did try to update the Video Card's bios after finding the card's FCC ID code on a tag on the card. I then went here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/91 and followed their link here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/fcc, to enter the code in
and find out the card's (real) manufacturer to track down the bios.

No joy I'm afraid. An unknown FCC ID code FKP 0905803237

From a bios / graphic card resource (MVTechNet), they considered it's not a bios problem but rather an issue related to W7, the Graphic Card and Intel "not talking to each other properly". Out of Sync?

Cheers,
Lee

The never ending saga :wacko:

I did try to update the Video Card's bios after finding the card's FCC ID code on a tag on the card. I then went here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/91 and followed their link here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/fcc, to enter the code in
and find out the card's (real) manufacturer to track down the bios.

No joy I'm afraid. An unknown FCC ID code FKP 0905803237

From a bios / graphic card resource (MVTechNet), they considered it's not a bios problem but rather an issue related to W7, the Graphic Card and Intel "not talking to each other properly". Out of Sync?

Cheers,
Lee


You know I been thinking about that problem and from ones I ran into with ATI cards, If the mfg does not have supported drivers for the card for Win7 nor that you cannot update the bios, then I am at a loss of what to tell you. Someone makes that card or the shipset mfg has to be on their somewhere. When I think of it, I had a program around here that would give you info of bios and mfgs. Think I got it from here but not sure I look around and see if I can find it.

But Try this http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

If not see if the MFG has an updated bios and a way to flash upgrade, really sad The current driver only allows up to 800x600 to me thats a rip, but may be because of the age of the card.

I still have 6 cards on my shelf I bought and cannot use but only for Windows XP, cannot get the res higher for Vista, hehe no less if I tryed a 7 machine, What the mfg told they were to old and phased out in other word I am stuck with them.

:(
Speccy is no help (I already have it). I guess for Zoe's PC, the solution is a later version card. The old one is off to Ebay I think. Cheers Lee
To further add to this: If anyone has a DDR 3 motherboard, don't fit it with a 9800GT card. Works perfectly with DDR2. but not the later with Intel based systems (they do not talk to each other regardless of driver). I have a DDR2 system and her card works fine in my PC. I will be replacing the card for my wife's PC with a new generation Radion 5770 (best bang for the buck) and I might go SLI in my system with her 9800GT, as I already have one fitted :lol: Cheers, Lee

Speccy is no help (I already have it).

I guess for Zoe's PC, the solution is a later version card. The old one is off to Ebay I think.

Cheers
Lee


Bummer :smack: Thought it would help you get the info off that card so you could have went to that link I provided to look for your bios. O well.

Cheer's

Jimbo1
The info. was on the card, but the FCC ID code FKP 0905803237, I put into that site's utility says it's an unknown manufacturer.. Speccy had the bios number but not the FCC code. A new modern card and I can stop letting this problem slowly drive me crazy :pullhair: Thanks for the help though. Cheers, Lee

The info. was on the card, but the FCC ID code FKP 0905803237, I put into that site's utility says it's an unknown manufacturer..
Speccy had the bios number but not the FCC code.

A new modern card and I can stop letting this problem slowly drive me crazy :pullhair:

Thanks for the help though.

Cheers,
Lee


One question tho, not worring about the FCC code, when using Speccy in the graphics section, it shows mine as Geforce GS and their is a listing called subvender saying EVGA, in this link if you had the name of the vender then you could get the bios. Does your shows what brand or a sub-vender I ran this test even on older model pc's in the shop and I get info I need to find the bios.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

Jimbo1
[attachment removed] Yes your right! This is my card as Zoe is bizzy at the moment, but sure enough 'Sub Vendor' is there. Nice going mate :thumbup: Zoe is going to check it out when she gets home from work (it's 8am here). Cheers, Lee

[attachment removed]

Yes your right! This is my card as Zoe is bizzy at the moment, but sure enough 'Sub Vendor' is there.

Nice going mate :thumbup:

Zoe is going to check it out when she gets home from work (it's 8am here).

Cheers,
Lee



Aye you may have to dig to find what your looking for, What I see id this
Geforce 9800 GT
ID Code 10DE-0614
Sub. ven Cardexpert Technology (10B0)
1024 MB
GDDR3

Here is a link of a differant vendor http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/75220/C…024.091027.html

may be what ya need or not, TBH when flahing bios is what I really do not like doing tho, to me its at your own risk, because if it goes boo boo, then game over lol.

Jimbo1
Zoe is going to look into it, but I'm firmly with the "get a modern card" idea I have suggested to her. If the bios update goes wrong, the card becomes junk and there goes my SLI idea for my PC if I ever get a game that needs it :lol: Cheers, Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI