This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Multiple Instances OF IE (Not Closing on exit)

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My daughter fixed a web site I was having problems with and sent me the link back via Email. I clicked on it and didn't get a response from IE8. So I opened up explorer and cut and pasted the URL and the page finally appeared. I had problems closing down my Email (Outlook express) but that finally cleared up.

I shut down Internet explorer and opened task manager and found a number of instances of IE still hanging around. I rebooted and checked task manager again and they disappeared after the reboot. However when I opened IE again I got a message saying my previous session had ended abnormally and did I want to restore that session. At first I said no but after running IE a few times I checked task manager and saw that IE was not closing properly.

I rebooted again and tried IE again and this time I did use the restore session. I had hoped this would solve the problem but
I'm still getting multiple sessions of IE every time I load it.

I have Norton and ran full scans and registry cleanup. I also ran Hijack and compared it to prior saved results and nothing shows up out of the ordinary
My Hijack file Follows:

📎Jaconix_HJT.txt

Edit: HJT logs are only allowed in the malware forum. I deleted it and added as an attachment if anyone wants to see it. Nothiong suspecious that I could see.
Try running IE without Add-ons, see if that makes a difference.

Click Start then Run, type iexplore -extoff and press Enter or click on Go.
– or –
Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If that doesn't make any difference, try resetting IE8.
I started looking on my own and think I solved the problem. As I mentioned I was clicking on a link in Outlook Express when the problem started. So I went back there and found 2 files apparently corrupted (Wab32's) so I restored them and the problem cleared up. I'm going to keep an eye on this after Turkey day and If it persists I'll get back, but so far it looks golden Thanks for the quick response and your attention to this Always great
While you are keeping your eye on things, consider uninstalling the older versions of JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE) and install the most recent. Same with your outdated and vulnerable Adobe Acrobat. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI