Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Multiple Instances OF IE (Not Closing on exit)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaconix

Jaconix

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

My daughter fixed a web site I was having problems with and sent me the link back via Email. I clicked on it and didn't get a response from IE8. So I opened up explorer and cut and pasted the URL and the page finally appeared. I had problems closing down my Email (Outlook express) but that finally cleared up.

I shut down Internet explorer and opened task manager and found a number of instances of IE still hanging around. I rebooted and checked task manager again and they disappeared after the reboot. However when I opened IE again I got a message saying my previous session had ended abnormally and did I want to restore that session. At first I said no but after running IE a few times I checked task manager and saw that IE was not closing properly.

I rebooted again and tried IE again and this time I did use the restore session. I had hoped this would solve the problem but
I'm still getting multiple sessions of IE every time I load it.

I have Norton and ran full scans and registry cleanup. I also ran Hijack and compared it to prior saved results and nothing shows up out of the ordinary
My Hijack file Follows:

Attached File  Jaconix_HJT.txt   9.12KB   335 downloads

Edit: HJT logs are only allowed in the malware forum. I deleted it and added as an attachment if anyone wants to see it. Nothiong suspecious that I could see.

Edited by Ztruker, 24 November 2010 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Try running IE without Add-ons, see if that makes a difference.

Click Start then Run, type iexplore -extoff and press Enter or click on Go.
-- or --
Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If that doesn't make any difference, try resetting IE8.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Jaconix

Jaconix

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

I started looking on my own and think I solved the problem. As I mentioned I was clicking on a link in Outlook Express when the problem started. So I went back there and found 2 files apparently corrupted (Wab32's) so I restored them and the problem cleared up. I'm going to keep an eye on this after Turkey day and If it persists I'll get back, but so far it looks golden Thanks for the quick response and your attention to this Always great

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

You're welcome, glad you fixed it. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

While you are keeping your eye on things, consider uninstalling the older versions of JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE) and install the most recent. Same with your outdated and vulnerable Adobe Acrobat. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.