Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE 7 closes on its own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 UrLostDesire

UrLostDesire

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

I'm using IE 7 with windows XP Professional. I can usually only stay in IE for about 5 minutes then it just closes down with no error messages or warnings. I have opened IE with no add ons. I have then tried to reset IE. As soon as I try to do anything, it closes. If I try to delete cookies...it closes. If I try to delete temp files...it closes. If I try to reset....it closes. I can't download anything....it closes. I've run a few scans....found nothing. Please help! Sorry if I'm reposting the same problem someone else has. I can't navigate around to find the rest of the threads without IE .....you got it....closing!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Does the machine only fail when in IE ?
for instance are you able to stay booted up and perform extended activities on your machine locally as long as you don't connect to the internet with IE.

Are there any other symptoms of Browsing.
For instance attempting to browse to a known website, but being re-directed to a different site?

Are you able to use other Browsers, for instance FireFox?

Are other machines able to connect and stay connected on your internet connection?
I realize you are not describing an internet connection failure, but rather an IE browser failure.
But I'm wanting to rule out any issues related to Router or Modem.

Can you try to run a PCPitstop.com Full Tests
http://www.pcpitstop.com
The Full tests require about 3 minutes to complete.
Then post a link to your results to give us an overview of your machine's performance.

Have you opened the case to assure that the fans are all running?
How about excessive dust-bunnies causing a heat problem?

Any strange noises, smells, video flickering or distortion, other symptoms?

Any new hardware or software?

Brand of machine
CPU
RAM amount
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 UrLostDesire

UrLostDesire

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I only have issues with IE. The computer itself and all other programs seem to run fine. The problem isn't with browsing itself. It closes when I'm trying to do something like delete cookies/temp files, disable add-ons, open certain links pertaining to my job or download items. I am not allowed to use another browser, so I don't know if that would fix the issue or not. The other computer has no issues and I can stay connected to the internet all day. This isn't a modem/router issue. When I try to run the PitStop file, IE closes. I do maintenence on the case once a month. The inside is clean and all fans are running. No strange noises or flickering. I haven't put any new programs on this computer in the last 2 months. I've only been having issues the last few days. Dell Optiplex 755 3.25 gig of RAM I'm running XP professional and IE 7 as the company hasn't upgraded software to be compatible with 8 yet.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

Does your Company establish Group Policies that influence what you are able to perform on your machine? You mention that at least marginally you perform maintenance. I would be hesitant to make additional diagnostic and repair recommendations if your Company's IT folks have rules that regulate your useage or embedded Group Policies that place some of your native and third-party utilities out of bounds for your use. You might be able to have a look in Event Viewer, to research any Errors and Stop Warnings that occur at the time you have difficulty with IE. Start - Run - (type)eventvwr.exe - Press - Enter Browse the categories Application Security System Internet To find Error/Stop warnings that occur at the same time as your difficulty. You may benefit from sending that information to your Company's IT folks. Best Regards

#5 UrLostDesire

UrLostDesire

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

I've done a system restore back to last week. It seems to be ok now.

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

Good work. :thumbup: Thanks for letting us know.