This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Temporary files cleaner

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello When I had XP I was using ATF-Cleaner for cleaning the temporary files. Now I'm on win7. I don't wanna use ATF-cleaner because as far as I know it wasn't updated for a long time. Can you guys recommend some temporary files cleaning application that you have been using on win7 for several months and didn't experience any problems with it? :) Do not recommend 1. ATF-Cleaner(obviously) 2. CCleaner(past experience) 3. tfc.exe(I forgot the name but it's a really thorough file cleaner made by one of the malware removal experts)
I am using 1 and 2 on Win7 Ultimate 64bit currently without issue, but I do understand the caution when the makers haven't updated to knowingly work with the newer systems as they come out, not sure what issue you had with 2, but if used purely for junk files, and leaving the registry alone I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with it.
The other file you mention appears to be a fake file, maybe you had an infection (which that file suggests it is) and was directed to software to clean the infection perhaps ?
But the other cleaner I use (again without issue) is Disk Cleaner, again it's running here without issue, don't know of any others personally, maybe others may have further suggestions, but this will give you something to look at while waiting, hope it helps.

I am using 1 and 2 on Win7 Ultimate 64bit currently without issue, but I do understand the caution when the makers haven't updated to knowingly work with the newer systems as they come out, not sure what issue you had with 2, but if used purely for junk files, and leaving the registry alone I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with it.
The other file you mention appears to be a fake file, maybe you had an infection (which that file suggests it is) and was directed to software to clean the infection perhaps ?
But the other cleaner I use (again without issue) is Disk Cleaner, again it's running here without issue, don't know of any others personally, maybe others may have further suggestions, but this will give you something to look at while waiting, hope it helps.

Thanks for your reply.
No, the 3rd one is not a fake file and I did not have an infection(since March 2008)… I did some searching and found it.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/…er-by-oldtimer/

I'll check out disk cleaner though.

Purely out of curiosity… what do you not like about TFC?

It was also my curiosity too Tomk, though I have seen a few people with complaints about it removing things unexpectedly. :unsure:

Purely out of curiosity… what do you not like about TFC?

The feedback from other users on the internet. Several months ago I used to be a regular reader on the malware removal sites and few times I've read people complaining about it.

@uchkur
Whilst composing your reply, it might also be worth considering a simple disc cleanup, using Win 7 native tools….
information and Video tutorial here:
http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/disk-…-windows-7.html
Regards
paws

Thanks I've tried that thing… but even after deleting the files, Spybot was still saying something in the lines of " there are 1701 temporary files, would you like me to delete them?"
Can anyone point out all the Temporary files locations on windows 7?

Just goes to show you can't always believe everything you read on the internet.

True, I know that. But this(cleaning temp files) is not of critical importance to me so I'm better off not using it no matter the feedback is genuine or not.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI