This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

need some new "stuff"

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am only moderatly tech "savvy" so would like a brief description/list of what I need, so when I go shopping I may appear to be not a complete idiot! Here is what I have: HP Pavillion, monitor, keyboard, HP scanner/printer. It runs Vista Home Premium, and my internet is AT&T DSL. Here is what I want to do: Add a laptop, that I can accesss the internet and printer wirelessly at home, and also is a software firewall adequate security if I take the laptop to hotels and plug in to their wired hi speed internet connection? I appreciate your time, and am not asking for a dissertation, but maybe to at least be pointed in a direction.

I am only moderatly tech "savvy" so would like a brief description/list of what I need, so when I go shopping I may appear to be not a complete idiot!

Here is what I have: HP Pavillion, monitor, keyboard, HP scanner/printer. It runs Vista Home Premium, and my internet is AT&T DSL.
Here is what I want to do: Add a laptop, that I can accesss the internet and printer wirelessly at home, and also is a software firewall adequate security if I take the laptop to hotels and plug in to their wired hi speed internet connection?

I appreciate your time, and am not asking for a dissertation, but maybe to at least be pointed in a direction.

First thing you'll need is a Wireless Router. Wireless N is the way to go as that's the newer protocol and is faster than G if the network devices in the computers support it.

Probably need to add memory to the HP Pavilion as most ship with less than Vista needs. Minimum is 2GB, 3 is better, 4 if running Vista 64bit.

Attach the printer to the HP Pavilion then share it so your new laptop can print via it's wireless connection. That means the HP would have to be on for this to work. The alternative is to buy a printer that can be connected wirelessly, just like your laptop would. Then you could print to it from either computer at any time.

The firewall that comes with Vista is is okay as long as your careful. I've never had a problem though I may have just been lucky.
Thanks very much. Your comments are very helpful. The computer came with Vista, and 3 gb. The printer is fairly new, and I belive also supports wireless, so I will get out the book on that!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI