yes i'm highlighting the text then copying it then hitting the quote function and it's putting the bbcode into my reply but i then have to try and click between the codes to paste the text, and with there being no space when i click paste most of the time i'm on the wrong side of one bracket or the other, so have to manually add the bracket where needed and delete the one that's in the wrong place, just thought it would be better if there was a clear gap between them like i've seen at the pit.
just another sign i need to go see an optician tho i guess,
yes i'm highlighting the text then copying it then hitting the quote function and it's putting the bbcode into my reply but i then have to try and click between the codes to paste the text, and with there being no space when i click paste most of the time i'm on the wrong side of one bracket or the other, so have to manually add the bracket where needed and delete the one that's in the wrong place, just thought it would be better if there was a clear gap between them like i've seen at the pit.
just another sign i need to go see an optician tho i guess,
I may be looking at your description incorrectly, or you may have the sequence out of order when using the Quote feature.
I think you are hitting the Quote function button two steps too early.
Copy/Paste the selected text which you intend to show as a quote, into the Compose Box you are using to compose your forum reply.
next:
Now that you have the selected intended quote text pasted into the compose box, use your cursor to highlight that text which you intend to show as a quote
next
while the intended text is still highlighted, use your mouse cursor to click on the Quote function icon above the compose box.
result
The quote button will automatically place
at the beginning of your highlighted text, and
at the end of your highlighted selection, causing your intended text to be placed in Quote Box when it is eventually displayed in your forum post after you hit "Add Reply"
Have I sufficiently added to your confusion?
By the way, the function works precisely the same as at the Pit
Here's a screen shot. quote tags over at the pit don't give you any extra space either.
Isn't that what I just said? (Using 150 fewer words - by the way)
Yes, it most certainly is!
Here's what happened:
I had opened a Compose Box to post my reply.
Then I got distracted by the dog barking out front.
I spent time out front.
When I came back to complete my reply, I did not see nor realize you had already replied and replied much more concisely I must confess.
It is true that there is a space at The Pit… but… I guess I've got used to no space because there isn't one at any other board I frequent except for The Pit and BC.
Terry, I'll concede that it works better for you, the way you describe.
And I'll concede that your browser displays a space between the quote tags at the Pit.
But it doesn't for my browser(s) running various Windows OS.
"If" the feature can be changed, it is an issue that will have to be referred above my pay-grade.
I'll ask those folks to have a look.
And it is not a problem for me to inquire.
I like to try to make our Visiting Techs happy if possible.
Particularly because you bring so much to the Forums here.
If it "is" a problem to change, the folks upstairs will let me know.
In which case, we will just have to live with it.
If that happens, I'll just try to make sure that there is always a good supply of virtual popcorn and sodas for you.
<–
just another sign i need to go see an optician tho i guess,
I have an alternate remedy, hold down 'Ctrl' key press the '+' key until the browser displays to your liking. ('Ctrl' + '0') returns to Default.
I also just highlight the text 1st then click on the Quote function icon, though I am a heavy user of the mouse rather than the keyboard.
Regards, Jkc73
Edit: I just realized, you have Linux, don't know if your browser even supports that type of magnification shortcut-key.
Will virtual popcorn and sodas do? Doug's shout…