This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

HDD space or change

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an Acer Aspire 9302 with a 120GB hard drive, partitioned in half. First, the free space on the hard drive disappears quite quickly. I actually uninstalled a program the other day that was 633mb. The free space actually went DOWN to 10.9GB from 12.1. ??? I have run CCleaner and had various Malware checks. All is OK on that side. The computer is three years old and has been used for a lot of work on photos, although none are stored on it. I know the computer stores a record of everything that it is used for, so could all the background storage be filling it? I have thought of changing the hard drive for a larger capacity but it is listed as a SCSI and I cannot seem to find one larger than about 70gGB and that is smaller than the one I have. I was hoping for something like 1TB. Anybody any ideas??
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums.
Some Acers come with the hard drive partitioned into separate partitions with Windows and your Programs installed on the C: drive and the D :drive being used for data files, (Photos, music documents, spreadsheets videos etc.)
However some folks often start saving their "Documents" to C: (and this can rapidly fill it up ) whilst leaving the D drive practically empty…Please note that some computers have a separte partition often called "Recovery" or similar that is to be used solely for disaster recovery procedures…if this is the case with your Acer you should not try to put anything into the Recovery partition, nor take anything out…… if you have this Recovery Partition ( which just could be called D:) its best to leave it alone.

If you are running short of disc space despite running CCleaner and also uninstalling any programs that you dont need or want then an easy solution is to buy an external USB hard drive…these are available for say GBP £40 for 300GB or so (and probably considerably less in the US of A)
In the UK an External Usb drive with a nominal capacity of 1TB costs around (GBP) £50 see here for an example:
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat…ives—External
NOTE although I have purchased many items from EBuyer (with complete satisfaction) WTT cannot endorse or recommend any particular supplier and you should make your own enquiries as to suitability for your purpose.
Regards
paws
Hi paws. Thanks for your reply. Yes, my acer is partitioned C & D drives, with 51.9GB allocated to each drive. I do have mainly programs on C, temporary photos on D and most of my saved work on an external 250GB hard drive. As the programs on C amount to around 3GB, according to Windows' Programs and Features, I was wondering where all the GB's have gone. I do not think any of the programs I have, have anything saved to them. I realise Vista uses quite a lot of space but not 40GB surely. Since my first post I have noticed that my free space has gone back to 12.5GB, from the 10.9. Do not ask me how. I have no idea where the recovery partition is, so I cannot save to that. I have just checked my D: partition. Windows tells my I have 36.7GB free out of 51.9 When I check the files, I have used 4.4GB of space. That means 10GB have vanished?? Any more ideas?
Yes, :thumbup:
Vista is notorious for this…
System Restore [Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)]
is often responsible for a certain amount of this and can often use 15% of your capacity on your C drive….. sometimes folks try to have System Restore monitoring their D drive as well….( not a good idea)
Take a look here and the mystery may be resolved
http://msmvps.com/blogs/theproblemsolver/a…disk-space.aspx
and
http://forum.notebookreview.com/notebook-d…oing-vista.html
and
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html

Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI