This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

BEST AVI CONVERSION?

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I have some old AVI Homemovies. My ASUS O'Player has a problem with them, only showing picture but no sound. My AVI video files: 640x480 (4:3), 29,970 fps,29,970 fps, MPEG-4 Visual (Microsoft) and AUDIO: 320-360 Kbps, 44.1 KHz,4 bits, 2 channels, ADPCM. I started converting and editing (cut and color) the AVI files to MPEG2 but doing this I wondered what the optimum conversion for watching the video files on my HD TV would be. The original AVI file: 58.5 MiB, 3761 Bit rate, MPEG-4 Visual, 640x480, 29,970 fps, Pixel*Frame 0,409, Stream size 53,4 MiB (91%). Audio: ADPCM, CBR 352.8 Kbps, 2 channels, 44.1 KHz, 4 bits, Stream size 5.02 MiB (9%), Interleave 47 ms. I converted above file with TMPGEnc (with some editing) to a MPEG-2 file, with the following result: 59.2 MB, overall bit rate 2086 Kbps, VBR (1724 Bit rate, nominal 8000), 720x480 (4:3), Progr scan, Pixel*Frame 0,166, Stream size 48.9 (83%); AUDIO: MPEG Audio, version 1 Layer 2, CBR 320 Kbps, 2 channels, 48.0 KHz, Stream size 9,08 MB (15%) When converting to MPEG-4 (profile High): 30.8 MB, Overall bit rate 2172 Kbps, AVC, 2 pass VBR 1850-4100 Kbps, 640x480,Pixel*Frame 0,201, Stream Size 26.2 MB (85%); AUDIO: AAC v 4, CBR 320 Kbps, 2 front channels, 44.1 KHz, Stream size 4.54 MB (15%) 1.What is the best AVI conversion. To MPEG2, MPEG4, or ? 2.What is the optimum resolution (staying as close as possible to the original, with the smallest possible file size)? I prefer quality over quantity. 3.I store the original files on an external HD and watch the edited ones on an another external. But because I'm converting the AVI files, I would like to combine the converting process with archiving purposes. Which format (AVI, MPEG, whatever…) is the best archiving method? 4. I tried some applications for replacing the avi sound file. AVIDEMUX does a great job! I replaced the avi sound file losssless with an mp3 file. Now for the cutting/joining part… SolveigMM Video Splitter worked wonderful (even editing!) but something awkward happened (and now I remember, this also happened before, some years ago): whenever I went for the file in the folder of the Solveig-edited files, WExplorer crashed. How about that. Soooooo…., somebody please give me a hint for a free lossless avi joiner/splitter? Thanks!
Hi realrisk2
:welcome:

Why do I get the impression that you already have a fair familiarity with free lossless avi splitter/joiner utilities… "from some years back"?
_____________________________________________

If windows explorer is crashing when you click on an edited file, I would be more concerned about viral / trojan infection, than what editor I used.

What kind of malware/security solution do you run on your affected machine?

Update and run it.
Do you also have Malwarebytes utility? If not consider getting it, updating it, and using it against your C:\ and also against your library folders of saved media.

If you find detections, take the ordinary recommended action that you would routinely select.
Then consider heading over to our Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal Forum for assistance from our excellent specialists.

Do you also run peer-to-peer utilities? <– seriously risky!
_________________-

If malware turns out to be unrelated to your problem/interests with this topic, then please list the various editing utilities which you may already be familiar with and describe the pros and cons of each with regard to your own use and purposes.

With that additional information, we may be able to give you some a more informed response.

Best Regards

Hi realrisk2
:welcome:

Why do I get the impression that you already have a fair familiarity with free lossless avi splitter/joiner utilities… "from some years back"?
_____________________________________________

If windows explorer is crashing when you click on an edited file, I would be more concerned about viral / trojan infection, than what editor I used.

What kind of malware/security solution do you run on your affected machine?

Update and run it.
Do you also have Malwarebytes utility? If not consider getting it, updating it, and using it against your C:\ and also against your library folders of saved media.

If you find detections, take the ordinary recommended action that you would routinely select.
Then consider heading over to our Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal Forum for assistance from our excellent specialists.

Do you also run peer-to-peer utilities? <– seriously risky!
_________________-

If malware turns out to be unrelated to your problem/interests with this topic, then please list the various editing utilities which you may already be familiar with and describe the pros and cons of each with regard to your own use and purposes.

With that additional information, we may be able to give you
some a more informed response.

Best Regards




(Sigh), Yessss…….. you are sooo right!
I have all kinds of anti-this and that, including Malwarebytes. Realtime protection I (hope to) get from Anvir Task manager, Ad-Aware and Avast. Anyway, I ran MB (updated) with Avast acidentally turned on. Avast discovered (perhaps guided by MB :-) a virus: Win32:AutoRun-BPN (wrm). Afterwards I ran MB and Avast separately in Safe Mode.
I edited media files again with Avidemux and Solveig. No explorer crashes this time…

Yes, I do use peer/peer utilities. In the past I got burned often (but luckily never fatally). Nowadays I try to avoid as much as possible application downloads and just stick to media downloads.

Sooo, thank you so much for your advice.

To return to my questions:
My Asus O'Player doesn't want to play the sound files of my home video's (taken with an old video camera). So I have to convert the avi files. Avidemux does a great job by lossless replacing the sound files by mp3 files. But - like I mentioned before - home video's can be boring and they need editing (joining/cutting/coloring).
To avoid needless converting I want to combine my editing with archiving purposes. Which format (parameters please?) stays as close as possible to the original quality of the avi files (for viewing) and is also ideal for archiving?

best quality v file size is with h264 followed by mpeg4 then mpeg2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

something else to read..
x264 :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

handbrake:- http://handbrake.fr/

get handbrake from here:- http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

:popcorn:



I downloaded Handbrake as you suggested and I converted (everything default with profile high) an avi file with the following result:

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 10.0 MiB
Duration : 18s 666ms
Overall bit rate : 4 506 Kbps

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 18s 550ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 368 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 29.919 fps
Original frame rate : 29.970 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.968 fps
Maximum frame rate : 29.980 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.475
Stream size : 9.66 MiB (96%)
Writing library : x264 core 79
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Encoded date : UTC 2010-10-27 16:44:04

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 18s 666ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 172 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 364 KiB (4%)


Problem is, you cannot edit with Handbrake.
TMPGenc allows for editing. The resulting MPEG-4 file with profile HIGH and 2 pass VBR (1845-4500 Kbps and overall 2162 Kbps) is half the size of the Handbrake file (that's about the same size as the original avi file).
Okay, I'm not about size but about quality. Is there a Handbrake with editing (trimming/joining/coloring etc)???
no there is no editing version of handbrake, and i can't recommend any video editing software to you because i don't run a windows os. in linux tho both kino and kdenlive are popular. i'd leave handbrakes settings at normal too and test, if set at high you will find the resulting file is bigger than the original with no gain in quality, but when left at it's normal defaults the file should be smaller with no loss in quality. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI