This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Router hacked?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't know if anyone in this forum handles problems with Macs &/or routers, but I have a problem and I am not sure where to begin. Running Mac OSX 10.6 and some of the websites that I try to access in Firefox hang and the browser attempts to connect to www.google-analytics.com. It says that it is transferring data from that site, but it just seems to hang. Once in awhile another window pops up with some sort of untrustworthy site. I scanned my Mac with ClamXAV and iAntivirus, and both say that the system is clean. I then read some forums and some people have reported something similar and said it is a hijack of the DSL router. I checked out the router and my DNS server was changed to a static address somewhere in Russia. I reset the router to its factory settings. Now when I try to access the sites that previously hanged, I can access them, but the Mac is still attempting to connect to www.google-analytics.com. It doesn't seem to actually connect, but it still looks for it. The PCs that I have at home do not seem to have the same problems as the Mac. Unfortuantely, there does not seem to be as much info on fixing Mac problems as there is on PCs. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
This can be serious problem if you are not from Russia.

Did you call ISP customer service? Ask to change your dynamic IP address and check router settings and close opened ports (Telnet for instance). My ISP customer service work 0-24h and can do all I said now.
Remember if you have dynamic IP address option you have to switch off your router for a while from time to time to make address changing. If you only turn off your Mac, router will be on the same address all the time and it looks like static address.

One more thing. When I checked out the router and my DNS server address on WhatIsMyIPAddress.com it reports that I have static IP and it is not true.

I also use Firefox and www.google-analytics.com is present in background in almost any site I visit.

arTech

PS: do you have some kind of firewall (Mac is mystery for me)?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI