solo58
Topic Starter
I know, I know…I should have been more careful.
I am (was) running Windows XP on a Dell Latitude D420.
I used RevoUninstaller to remove the Intel Pro Wireless Application. The removal included removing two registry items.
When I rebooted…I got stuck in the "blue zone" with - "Registry cannot load the hive (file)"
I think I have the Windows Installation CD - It's labelled "Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3".
I press F12 to change the location to boot, to the CD.
A blue scree nwith Windows Setup comes up.
A bunch of files (driver?) start loading….
and then I get an error like…ACPI.SYS - corrupted, or dac2w2K.sys corrupted, or cpqarray.sys corrupted.
I realize that I need to boot from the Windows CD disk, but I'm not getting the recovery option from the bootable CD with SP3. I also have a reinstallation CD, SP2
So I tried that and….it allowed me to start the recovery application.
It wanted an administrator password…Don't know what this is so I just pressed enter.
It gave me a dos prompt….
From another web site; http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=3861
I took instructions to copy the System file from c:\windows\system32\config to a tmp directory and label it system.bak
That was supposed to work…but didn't.
I was supposed to then copy the Software file to the TMP directory…but "The file could not be copied".
so….what do I do?
PS - I previously ran a dell diagnostic utility and got a MSG error Code 146…
I am (was) running Windows XP on a Dell Latitude D420.
I used RevoUninstaller to remove the Intel Pro Wireless Application. The removal included removing two registry items.
When I rebooted…I got stuck in the "blue zone" with - "Registry cannot load the hive (file)"
I think I have the Windows Installation CD - It's labelled "Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3".
I press F12 to change the location to boot, to the CD.
A blue scree nwith Windows Setup comes up.
A bunch of files (driver?) start loading….
and then I get an error like…ACPI.SYS - corrupted, or dac2w2K.sys corrupted, or cpqarray.sys corrupted.
I realize that I need to boot from the Windows CD disk, but I'm not getting the recovery option from the bootable CD with SP3. I also have a reinstallation CD, SP2
So I tried that and….it allowed me to start the recovery application.
It wanted an administrator password…Don't know what this is so I just pressed enter.
It gave me a dos prompt….
From another web site; http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/index.php?showtopic=3861
I took instructions to copy the System file from c:\windows\system32\config to a tmp directory and label it system.bak
That was supposed to work…but didn't.
I was supposed to then copy the Software file to the TMP directory…but "The file could not be copied".
so….what do I do?
PS - I previously ran a dell diagnostic utility and got a MSG error Code 146…