This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Factor Governing DSL Speed

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Please let me know the factors which govern the speed of internet. I know that traffic and capacity of the cable and servers are the only factor that governs the speed of internet. My query refers to a specific case: Suppose, I have DSL from service provider company A providing 1 Mbps speed plan. They provide me modem and provision the DSL line. Now, if I opt for 2 Mbps speed plan, they will provide me the plan without replacing the modem or making any changes in the line. How can they make this possible? 1 case that I could think of off top of my head is that when they provide me the speed plan of 1 Mbps, they already provide me the modem and line whose capacity is more than 1 Mbps and somehow, they limit my DSL speed to be maximum 1 Mbps since I opted for that speed plan. Now, when I opted for 2 Mbps plan, they don't have to do anything. They just have to increase the limit to 2 Mbps from 1 Mbps. Please let me know if I am thinking on correct line.

Please let me know the factors which govern the speed of internet. I know that traffic and capacity of the cable and servers are the only factor that governs the speed of internet.

My query refers to a specific case:

Suppose, I have DSL from service provider company A providing 1 Mbps speed plan. They provide me modem and provision the DSL line. Now, if I opt for 2 Mbps speed plan, they will provide me the plan without replacing the modem or making any changes in the line.

How can they make this possible?

1 case that I could think of off top of my head is that when they provide me the speed plan of 1 Mbps, they already provide me the modem and line whose capacity is more than 1 Mbps and somehow, they limit my DSL speed to be maximum 1 Mbps since I opted for that speed plan. Now, when I opted for 2 Mbps plan, they don't have to do anything. They just have to increase the limit to 2 Mbps from 1 Mbps.

Please let me know if I am thinking on correct line.


I kinda wonder that myself but not really sure how it's done by them. I had a question about mine but here is a link to test your speed, when I ran the test I was getting what I was paying for.

http://www.speedtest.net/
yes , your isp was/is the limiting factor on what speeds you get just as long as your physical connection is capable of greater speeds than 2Mbs. some people pay for speeds of 20Mbs or more but the maximum their physical connections can deliver is less, and that's why isp's advertise their speed packages with "up to" that speed, because they can not guarantee you'll get that speed, even tho they will send the data out from their servers at that speed if possible, it does not mean you'll be able to receive it at those speeds because of other limiting factors like those listed in my above link. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI