Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91702 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Factor Governing DSL Speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

Please let me know the factors which govern the speed of internet. I know that traffic and capacity of the cable and servers are the only factor that governs the speed of internet. My query refers to a specific case: Suppose, I have DSL from service provider company A providing 1 Mbps speed plan. They provide me modem and provision the DSL line. Now, if I opt for 2 Mbps speed plan, they will provide me the plan without replacing the modem or making any changes in the line. How can they make this possible? 1 case that I could think of off top of my head is that when they provide me the speed plan of 1 Mbps, they already provide me the modem and line whose capacity is more than 1 Mbps and somehow, they limit my DSL speed to be maximum 1 Mbps since I opted for that speed plan. Now, when I opted for 2 Mbps plan, they don't have to do anything. They just have to increase the limit to 2 Mbps from 1 Mbps. Please let me know if I am thinking on correct line.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

Please let me know the factors which govern the speed of internet. I know that traffic and capacity of the cable and servers are the only factor that governs the speed of internet.

My query refers to a specific case:

Suppose, I have DSL from service provider company A providing 1 Mbps speed plan. They provide me modem and provision the DSL line. Now, if I opt for 2 Mbps speed plan, they will provide me the plan without replacing the modem or making any changes in the line.

How can they make this possible?

1 case that I could think of off top of my head is that when they provide me the speed plan of 1 Mbps, they already provide me the modem and line whose capacity is more than 1 Mbps and somehow, they limit my DSL speed to be maximum 1 Mbps since I opted for that speed plan. Now, when I opted for 2 Mbps plan, they don't have to do anything. They just have to increase the limit to 2 Mbps from 1 Mbps.

Please let me know if I am thinking on correct line.

I kinda wonder that myself but not really sure how it's done by them. I had a question about mine but here is a link to test your speed, when I ran the test I was getting what I was paying for.

http://www.speedtest.net/

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#3 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

once every thing is connected they control what speeds(bandwidth) your getting from their servers, the biggest limiting factor besides what speeds they provide you with, is the quality and type on line connected to your home and how far away it is from the phone/cable exchange..

here's a link that might explain things better than i could :- http://www.moneysupe.../speed-guide/3/

:popcorn:

#4 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

@terry1966 - it means that the theory that I think as a reason for this is correct?

#5 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

yes , your isp was/is the limiting factor on what speeds you get just as long as your physical connection is capable of greater speeds than 2Mbs. some people pay for speeds of 20Mbs or more but the maximum their physical connections can deliver is less, and that's why isp's advertise their speed packages with "up to" that speed, because they can not guarantee you'll get that speed, even tho they will send the data out from their servers at that speed if possible, it does not mean you'll be able to receive it at those speeds because of other limiting factors like those listed in my above link. :popcorn:

#6 vijay.gupta

vijay.gupta

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Thanks terry!!