This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Generic host for win 32 qe

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My system: XP service pack 2 AMD dual core 64 4600 992Meg RAM I had a Mal ware infection and with the help of a tech on your site I am now clean. He suggested I ask a couple questions on this forum; 1) Occasionally after an error on restart I get a message saying something like this: "Generic process Win 32 encountered a problem and had to close" I guess my question is what is this? 2) This P.C. is primarily used for audio recording. I disconnect from internet when I record audio. Occasionally I need to restart my audio recording software due to loss of sound card issues. sometimes when I restart the taskbar goes white. Everything else seems fine, just wondering why ? Upon a second restart it usually goes back to blue.
Look in Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged (they will be in RED)

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed. Post the data here. If it's more than a couple, copy the data to notepad and save as a .txt file, then use the Browse and Upload buttons below the message input are to upload the txt file here, then click on the Manage Current Attachments box to paste a link to the upload file so we can look at it.

To copy data to notepad, you first have to copy it to the clipboard. You do this by clicking on the icon of two pages under the up and down arrows on the right side of the window. Then you paste the info into notepad.
I have attached (3) notepads, One from SYSTEM and (2) from Apps I tried not to paste multiple instances of same error…. There were so many identical ones it would have been huge… BTW I am most concerned about the CUBASE APP hang and errors, its my main app for recording audio. Thanks for your help. Jerry
Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

Looking at the EV logs, you have problems all over the place. I would start by disabling Spybot's TeaTimer, then run for a bit and see what happens. It's a possible point of failure for registry problems since it tries to block changes to the registry, often causing weird problems. I never used it and don't recommend it.

You also have network problems from the data in the last txt file. Might be a good idea to download the latest driver you can find for your network device (on-board or PCI) and install it, see if that helps there.

You can also try running System File Checker (SFC). To use System File Checker, you need a XP CD at the same service pack level as the XP installed on your hard drive or you need the I386 directory tree from a XP CD on you hard drive.

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click GO. Let it complete. It will take awhile and will end with no indication of success or failure. See here for how to see what actually happened: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

If that doesn't help then try aRepair Install
I uninstalled Spybot I am now using Avast per this sites instructions. By Network device you are referring to my wireless (airlink) device? I dont have a clue about SFC….. I only have the XP CD that is installed on this machine????? Dont know what 138g file tree is or how to get it???
By Network device you are referring to my wireless (airlink) device?I
Yes, that is what I mean. This is a laptop then? You can get the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site. Provide the make and model number and I can help you locate it.

dont have a clue about SFC….. I only have the XP CD that is installed on this machine?????
Then you do have an XP CD. Follow the directions I provided to run SFC, see if that helps. The link I provided to the Microsoft web site tells you how to look at what entries were logged when SFC ran. This will tell you if it found any problems and fixed them.

Dont know what 138g file tree is or how to get it???
138g file tree? I said I386 directory tree, that's a I (eye) 386 and will be located in the root of your boot drive, normally C:\I386. Since you have a XP CD, no need to worry about using it hough.
sry been away for awhile. No this is a desktop but internet via wireless router. I downloaded the newest drivers for my device but they must not have installed properly as it did not work at all. I had to sys. restore to the old driver. I havent had any issues with the device, it works fine. Gonna try SFC will post results. Thanks
I'm curious why the wireless device driver did not work but it's not anything to worry about as long as it's working now.

You said it was an Airlink right? What is the model number and version? Are you sure you downloaded the right driver? Most wireless device drivers are version dependent so you have to make sure you get the one for the right version.

There was no need to do a System Restore to recover when the wireless card no longer worked after installing the new driver.
You should have been able to go to Device Manager, double click on the Wireless device under Network Devices, then click on the Roll back driver button. If it doesn't show on that page, click on the Driver tab.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI