This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

hacked

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

An important account was hacked. I use Windows firewall, defender and the router within my ISP gateway.

Should I use a 10 year old router I have in my closet or get another, or, what should I do to beef up security?

I also have Norton security Suite for free with Comcast if I choose to use it..

TY

Peter

A lot more information would be very helpful:

Details of your machine Brand-name and model, desktop or laptop, CPU, RAM, age of machine.
Details of your Operating System Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
Does your free Norton include a Firewall? What other security programs are installed?
 
I would not recommend a 10 year old router. Today's routers are not that expensive and much more secure than older routers. Never use an open Wi-Fi network or the weaker WEP encryption. Always  use WPA2 encryption and use a secure passphrase, that nobody else will possibly figure out. 

The breach had to occur on the other end as the security dept. and I were discussing. Someone tried to log in a few times and was successful at that insurance site.

They have now established a 2 step verification for me. 

I had not thought this through and figured my end was the offender. None of my other sites have been affected.

 

I appreciate your help but I jumped the gun.

 

I use the ISP's router which has AC and WPA 22 etc. I am still relying on Defender and the Windows native firewall.

I feel secure on my end and Norton is available but I choose not to use it B/C suites offer too many features I do not need. The program is OK as it is not the resource hog it used to be but still carries more than I need..

Thank you for replying and I apologize for panicking.

 

An important account was hacked.

what account, you may find the problem has nothing at all to do with your side of things and may be a security problem at the accounts web site.

 

to be honest the only thing i can think of is to change the password for that account with nothing else needed to be done on your side of things except maybe to start a new topic for each pc you have and post the required logs so the experts can check and make sure you have no malware on them over at this part of the forum :- https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27

 

adding another router really won't increase security at your end in my opinion.

 

:popcorn:

 

missed your reply peter, but glad you're happy now. :thumbup:

Thanks for entering the thread, terry.

I have had them add a 2 step verification on their end so the have to respond to a text to my phone with a code.

I was a bit panicky and posted before I thought about it. A lot was going on and I did not process th events properly. Only later did I realize the breach was on the insurance company end. MBAM and Defender say I am fine and I used a free o.l. scan too.

I have monitored it and checked a couple of other sites and seem all set.

Coincidentally, I had just finished updating my passwords at a few important sites which I do 3x's a year. Naturally I thought it was my misstep.

I was just going to install Norton Security Suite which is free with my ISP.

It is amazing what panic will do to the imagination

TY

Peter.

It is amazing what panic will do to the imagination

 

Glad all is well. Much better to be panicked and end up safe then to ignore signals and end up in a mess. 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI