This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Arrange folders/files by name

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is a rather unusual problem that I have encountered few times and it fixed itself somehow but now it's going for few months without a fix.
The thing is, I'd like my folders/files in Windows to be arranged mostly by Name. In windows explorer it works fine without any problems.
However, when I'm saving a picture from the internet, the dialog box that is opened shows my folders/icons by "modified"(and I have checked, they are sorted by name in that particular folder in windows explorer). Yes, I can change them to be arranged by name but I want them to be arranged by name "by default". And "by default" I mean to be arranged like that exactly when the dialog box opens without me having to change them after the dialog box is opened.

I know I was a bit unclear with this but I think you will understand what I want to do.

Thanks for reading.

Browser Mozilla Firefox
Open the folder(s) where you store your photos or whatever and right click on an empty space > sort by > name. Anything going into that folder will be sorted automatically by name as the default storage setting. Cheers, Lee
This worked for Windows 98, maybe it still works for XP?

When you use the Open command or the Save As command in one of the following tools in Windows 98, the items in the Open or Save As dialog box may be sorted incorrectly:

* Notepad
* Paint
* WordPad

For example, files may be listed before folders, items may be sorted in descending order, and so on.

To resolve this behavior, reset the default sort order:

1. Right-click Start, click Explore, and then click drive C.
2. On the View menu, click Details.
3. Click the Name column to sort items by name, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then quit Windows Explorer by clicking Close in the upper-right corner of the screen.
4. Release the CTRL key.
5. Restart your computer.

NOTE: You must perform these steps exactly as they are listed. For example, do not quit Windows Explorer by clicking Exit on the File menu.

FOund here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229070

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI