Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox vs IE8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

First – I like Firefox
Second – I don’t like IE
Third – can’t explain why
but
IE v.8 has better memory performance than Firefox v.3.6.
Demonstration:
Firefoks_vs_IE8.jpg
This is a simple test IE8 vs Firefox on my XPSP3 with same conditions (browsing the same 5 web sites).
Process explorer clearly shows that is the amount of used actual physical memory (RAM), almost the same (200Mb), but Firefox has average 860,000 Page faults/s vs 90,000 that has IE8.
Page fault, Virtual Memory Manager and Paging definition in Microsoft Detecting Memory Bottlenecks:
A Page fault occurs when a program requests a page of code or data is not in its working set (the set of pages visible to the program in physical memory).
• A hard page fault occurs when the requested page must be retrieved from disk.
• A soft page fault occurs when then the requested page is found elsewhere in physical memory.
Soft page faults can be satisfied quickly and relatively easily by the Virtual Memory Manager, but hard faults cause paging, which can degrade performance.
The Virtual Memory Manager moves pages of code and data between disk and memory in a process called paging. Paging is essential to a virtual memory system, although excessive paging can monopolize processors and disks.

Conclusion: I will use Firefox after all, because I have 3,144924Gb RAM, but if you have evident problem with slow computer when play your favorite game or edit picture with Photoshop, don’t forget to turn Firefox off.

arTech

Edited by arTech, 15 September 2010 - 01:57 PM.

--- prevent rather than cure / better safe than sorry ---

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

interesting exercise and conclusion.

That's a lot of RAM

3,144924Gb RAM

needs period place holder instead of comma separator? :P
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

It is Europian way of writing decimal numbers and meaning little bit more than 3Gb as mathematical constant pi=3,14159265... Anyway I have memory cards with 4Gb, but limit in 32-bit Windows XP is that. arTech

Edited by arTech, 15 September 2010 - 03:05 PM.

--- prevent rather than cure / better safe than sorry ---

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

I didn't know that about European usage of Comma, where US useage is a period. Thanks
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.