Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91803 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

ISP Issues (TalkTalk)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hi
***RANT ALERT***
I'm really aggravated with my ISP & I suspect them to be restricting my access.........completely.
I've made several calls to to them complaining that I can't access the internet through my account/TalkTalk email.
I'm currently connected to the internet through a test connection & email address which was provided previously by TalkTalk when I had the same issues. I've just this minute got of the phone from them where they made me run sum tests to no avail. They're suggesting that my Browser is corrupt or my computer is at fault which is a laughable suggestion.
At the risk of sounding paranoid I suspect they're are restricting my account. The reason I think this is because;
1./ I can connect to the internet through this test setup, which shows there's nothing wrong with my Router, browser, my PC or indeed my connection.
2./ I downloaded a game which was almost 2GB in size from GAME.co.uk a few days ago (fair use policy coming in to effect maybe, even though my package is Unlimited).

I'm not quite sure what to think all I know is that I am fuming that I am paying for a service that I'm not receiving.

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

They could be throttling your connection, but it depends on how much you're downloading over a certain period. If you downloaded the 2GB game in the afternoon, for example, TalkTalk will throttle your connection until late evening. If you consistently break their Fair Usage Policy they can throttle your connection for as long as they want. The key to finding out whether they are doing this is to read the small print in your contract. That will say what actions they will take if they think you are downloading too much. Can you explain what you mean with "I can't access the internet through my account/TalkTalk email"? Do you have to enter your login details before you get access, or do you mean you can't access the internet if your router uses the usual login details? Cheers, Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hi Nahumi & thank you for your prompt reply.

I can't connect at all let alone connect on a limited connection. That's correct I can't login using the credentials I was fist assigned when I opened my account with Tiscali (now TalkTalk) which is also stored on the Router set up page but I can with the test credentials.
For example my login email would be: "username@tiscali.co.uk" then my password, but I can't connect using this so I am using another address & password.
I'm not sure how to approach this or even challenge my ISP. I'm going to look at the small print now.

Edited by manicd, 01 September 2010 - 04:39 PM.