This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

NVIDIA Graphic Driver BSOD

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using a Compaq CQ 5110F Desktop running Vista Home Premium SP2 with and AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor with 300 GB memory, (with 202 GB free) that is 1 year old. This morning I was using Firefox (my default browser) when the BSOD screen appeared. I didn't have enough time to write everything down, but I did catch that the problem was with nvlddmkm.sys I tried to restart the computer but it just gave me BSOD again, twice. When it tried to reboot again I chose to run it in safe mode. Windows told me that it was a problem with the NVIDIA Graphic driver and that I should try to update it. First, though, I ran a mbam.exe scan, and it found nothing. I then updated the graphics driver, but still BSOD. I started in safe mode again and this time uninstalled the driver and it rebooted again just fine. Of course, my screen is goofy and I cannot change my screen settings without the driver, so I tried to reinstall the driver, but still BSOD. I also tried a restore point, but it failed. The only thing different that would have caused this is that I updated my audio driver yesterday. I also updated java on the 25 of August. I have uploaded a zipped copy of the minidumps from today, for your information. Thanks in advance!
All the dumps are the same and indicate nvlddmkm.sys is the faulting module. I would do a System Restore to the day before you updated your sound driver and see how things run. Why are you updating the sound and video drivers and where are you updating them from? Are you trying to solve a problem? If not might be best to leave them alone, following the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. :D
There is wisdom in your words… I may have been foolish to update the sound driver. I don't remember why I did… Anyway, i updated the video driver after the BSOD. I was trying to fix it. As for using a restore point, I already tried it, but it failed. I just consulted with a tech from the store where I bought the computer and he directed me to the Nvidia site where there is a newer version of the graphics driver. I am going to see if that fixes things. I will keep you posted! java script:add_smilie(":D","smid_7")
Thanks ztruker, but I have already tried that. I just finished trying to install it from the nvidia site, but it still crashed. I don't know what to do now…
Try this, open Device Manager then expand Display Adapters and double click on your video device. Click on the Driver tab. If the Rollback Driver button is enabled, click it to rollback to the previous driver. If that still fails, do it again and repeat until it either works or you run out of rollback points.
Thanks for the suggestion Ztrucker. I ended up trying a complete system recovery because the tech that I spoke to said that he thought it was a problem with Windows being corrupted. That did not fix the problem, however, so when I called back I was told that it must, therefore, be a hardware issue. Fortunately, I bought an extended warranty from the store and so they will have to replace the video card for me, unless that isn't the problem… Either way, I should get a new computer if they can't fix it. Thanks for your time!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI