This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Questions concerning whether a computer can run FInal Fantasy XIV

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I'm dropping into your world for some advice over the inter "tubes"! I am conversant in computer speak, but not a master and I look to those with more info to guide me as I continue to learn.

Ok, so I am considering buying a new computer if my current system won't meet a very specific need. I've seen a couple of people posting about wanting help with a gaming computer at a certain budget. I have a different twist on this question. I want a computer that will play a specific game. Final Fantasy XIV.

I am the owner of a several year old Dell system and a newer Dell system (1 or 2 years old?). Taken from my computer properties:

DELL SYSTEM ALPHA (older)

Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHz
3.39 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM.
Video card is Radeon x800 SE
Windows XP Home SP 3


DELL SYSTEM BETA (not as old)

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
Video card is Radeon HD3650
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2


The minimum system requirements for the game can be found at:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/#/about/game_info

The recommended system requirements for the game can be found at:
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/recom/na/pc.html

I suspect that BETA will run FF XIV and that ALPHA will not. Is that correct?

Also, to the extent this will have an impact…I would prefer to run the game at a higher resolution, such as 1920 x 1080, which I do with games that I currently play using ALPHA that allow that resolution.

Assuming I need to replace ALPHA, will the system described in the link below run the game well? It is a system currently advertised / discounted on the Dell website.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con…s=dhs&cs=19

I am not sure whether the Vision Ultimate or the Vision Black is the better system…though I presume that the Black is given the higher price? (I believe this link will take you to the page where the choice between the Ultimate and Black is made.)

Just in case here is the basic info on the Black system: ($829)

PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X6 1035T + ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive


Here is the basic info on the Ultimate system: ($699)

PROCESSOR & GRAPHICS CARD AMD Phenom™ II X6 1035T + ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 2 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive


I would appreciate answers to these questions as well as any helpful information or specific suggestions on computers to consider as the replacement system.

Thanks.
Hello and welcome to WTT

I would agree that BETA can run Final Fantasy 14 but perhaps not at the resolution you desire.

The best option I'd suggest is simply purchase a more powerful GPU for BETA, that should get you going.

If you're looking to buy a new system, I will help you build one as buying one pre-made is a rip-off.

ATI Radeon HD 5770 will suit your needs fine, and that model has Eyefinity if you want to run six displays. It should allow you to run at the desired resolution.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI