This appears to be the processor going by the number, but the box the processor came in will have the exact processor details on that, but it appears to be an AMD 6k processor.
Now the motherboard is what will denote what processor(s) you can use in it, the links given above seem to suggest this will work OK, but being a Dell it's not always easy to find out what components they used, so try entering your
Tag Number into This Page, hopefully it will show which board you have.
Main point to note while handling components is static, you should not touch the components unless your earthed as static discharge can kill the components, but that said they are a lot hardier than people would believe, *REMOVED on request*, a specialised plug\strap is better\safer.
*edit
OK I Have removed part of the previous comment on request, although I personally do it all the time, because I know everything I am touching is safe, and is widely practised here, but there is an air of caution over this area, mainly due to being a world wide forum and the fact of the unknown, so the static discharge comment is still very valid, but the method to discharge it in the ideal world should be to use a proper anti static lead as I had already stated previously, but most don't have this which is why I mentioned the alternate way, but not knowing your surroundings I think the safest advice is ask a local specialist the methods to safely avoid passing on static charge whilst handling the parts, apologies to anyone who were worried by the previous.
Alternately take the side of the case off and try and read the printed info on the physical board, also watch out for Revision numbers, because sometimes they release more than 1 type of the same board, also don't be surprised if the code doesn't exactly match the makers code, often they re-badge components for use in their systems, but with this info we can hopefully confirm if this processor will work, but everything so far suggests it should be fine.
The physical installation is idiot proof these days, unless someone is extremely determined lol, not sure on AMD these days, last time I touched one you had to put the marked corner of the chip into the marked corner of the socket, 775 boards use notches, so you should only be able to sit it in the one way, so if it looks and feels flat (not wobbly) then it should be sat in correctly, but don't use excessive force, if you bend any pins you could kill the components, so slow and steady does it as they say.
Now thermal compound is essential, and many consider Arctic Silver 5 to be the tops, applying it is not always agreed upon, some apply a line down the middle and sit the heatsink on fixing it down, others (including myself) prefer to use some cling film or plastic over your finger, then apply a spot or two and spread it over the area where they will touch, this helps minimise any voids, then on the CPU apply some more thermal grease, and use a card (plastic that is), credit or bank cards are good, they keep an even spread, I use the cards they send out in applications hoping you will sign up to them, saves messing my bank cards lol.
I dare say there is more to cover, but this will get you started anyway, hope it helps.