Deleted Member
Topic Starter
History (so you can understand where I'm coming from)
Raised on Macs since day one, only time I used a Windows/ non Mac computer was at school.
I'm a bit of a gamer, though probably not as much as most people out there think the word 'gamer' entails. I play WoW while I'm in college, and since I've always had a Mac, and my current computer is a Mac laptop, I don't have the option to get into more games. (Yep… Macs kinda fail in the game department.)
My girlfriend has been considering building her own computer at some point and she kinda got me interested in the idea. I've been researching a bit, but honestly… I get the computer stuff until someone says motherboard, and then I'm lost.
So Far. This is just the stuff I think I've settled on, and now that I look at it, it really isn't that much. Darn… I thought I was getting somewhere.
I think the CPU I want is the Intel core i5 750. I looked around on Tom's Hardware and he seemed to know what he was saying, and I checked out reviews and I think it will work fine.
I think I want an ATX motherboard, but if anyone has something to say about them, I'm all ears.
I know the motherboard has to work with the CPU, and other then that, I don't know what I should look for in a motherboard.
Same thing with the operating system; integrated vs external audio and video and which cards are best; the type of ram and how much; the memory and USB slots; the number of drive bays, and the hard drive. I've had Mac premade computers for all of my 19 years.
I'm researching what I can, but I'm not finding much of anything that is clearer than mud, and I'm getting frustrated.
Anyone mind clearing things up for me and giving me a hand?
I want a computer that runs my games without much of a problem, can hold my random pictures from online roleplay, and will let me write up my papers and reports without a hassle.
Thanks guys and girls!
Raised on Macs since day one, only time I used a Windows/ non Mac computer was at school.
I'm a bit of a gamer, though probably not as much as most people out there think the word 'gamer' entails. I play WoW while I'm in college, and since I've always had a Mac, and my current computer is a Mac laptop, I don't have the option to get into more games. (Yep… Macs kinda fail in the game department.)
My girlfriend has been considering building her own computer at some point and she kinda got me interested in the idea. I've been researching a bit, but honestly… I get the computer stuff until someone says motherboard, and then I'm lost.
So Far. This is just the stuff I think I've settled on, and now that I look at it, it really isn't that much. Darn… I thought I was getting somewhere.
I think the CPU I want is the Intel core i5 750. I looked around on Tom's Hardware and he seemed to know what he was saying, and I checked out reviews and I think it will work fine.
I think I want an ATX motherboard, but if anyone has something to say about them, I'm all ears.
I know the motherboard has to work with the CPU, and other then that, I don't know what I should look for in a motherboard.
Same thing with the operating system; integrated vs external audio and video and which cards are best; the type of ram and how much; the memory and USB slots; the number of drive bays, and the hard drive. I've had Mac premade computers for all of my 19 years.
I'm researching what I can, but I'm not finding much of anything that is clearer than mud, and I'm getting frustrated.
Anyone mind clearing things up for me and giving me a hand?
I want a computer that runs my games without much of a problem, can hold my random pictures from online roleplay, and will let me write up my papers and reports without a hassle.
Thanks guys and girls!