This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Buying/Building a Computer

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've been playing World of Warcraft on my Macbook for about 3 years now. However, ever since I first started playing it, I always had to play on the lowest graphics settings, and I still had problems when it came to low fps, long load times, etc. I decided that it was just because my internet was slow (which is probably still is a part of it) and just tried playing the game as best as I could. Then I decided to get the new Sims 3 game which was available for macs. When I bought the game and loaded it onto my computer, everything worked fine… until I saw the neighborhood. I didn't even realize that my graphics card was one of the specifically named graphics card I couldn't use to play the game. Plus, the graphics card is mounted with the motherboard (or something like that) so upgrading the laptop would be impossible. So now my laptop cannot play any Mac games that are available, on top of the fact that I can't play most games that are offerred on PC. So…I'm looking to get a new computer. I am looking in the price range of $2000 and below. I will most likely have the money for this in a few months with a summer job, so I understand some things will change in the next few months in terms of deals, new products, etc. However, I'm generally looking now for a list of product names that are typically the best, looking for what specs to look for (like I know for memory, 4+MB (?) is the best, like 6 MB). I also need help with monitors, in that is a 24 inch screen worth it over a 22 or 19 inch that overs built in speakers. I haven't ever taken apart a computer before, but I have put in one video card and one wireless card. I'm not exactly a computer tech guy, either. So I'm leaning towards buying a brand new computer rather than building one from scratch. Let the guys that know what they are doing build it for me. However, if people say that building a computer isn't hard, just takes a lot of time, then I might consider that route, but would need a lot more help in terms of understanding what to get. I've been looking and every site says "Best gaming PCs" or "Fastest PCs for the Greatest Gaming Experience." I know all computers have the capability to play games well, but I want to buy one that will play the games very well, above others, as well as provide normal activity things (Microsoft Office, Internet, etc). What I don't know is what to look for on the specs in terms of video card, monitor, motherboard, cooling system (one computer I found had liquid cooling, is that more maintenance than fan or is it better cooling?), power supply, hard drive, etc. Plus, if I'm buying everything, I really need to know what to mix to get the best things, including monitor, computer tower, cpu, etc. For the TL;DR folks: I am wanting a gaming PC that is below $2000. I want it to be able to handle most gaming with great speed and picture and as close to top of the line as my budget can take me. The closer to $1000 it is, the better. I won't be able to buy it until June. Should I wait to start my search until closer to June? What names/specs should I be looking for under each thing for the desktop? How big of a monitor would be the best size per $? What brand names truly have the best gaming computers, or which ones should I trust to help me set it up the fastest? Thanks in advance for any advice given!
Hey jamesbond2011,

Sorry for taking a while to reply to this.

I think the easiest option for you is to probably start off with a relatively cheap pre-built system and then work your way up. The thing you have to keep in mind about gaming rigs is that they cost a lot of money to build and maintain. You also have to accept that whatever you buy now may only be ahead of others for about 6 months. If you are wanting to keep ahead all the time you have to be willing to sink about $500 dollars into your rig every year.

It is also very difficult to suggest to you what you should buy. The components you use tends to come down to personal preferences and budget. Some people will choose Intel over AMD, other's will choose nVidia over AMD. At the end of the day you won't notice the difference, but it really depends who you prefer.

So having a quick look around I think the following PC will do you just fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…9-137-_-Product

The CPU is a Phenom II 965, which in most cases will be more than enough. The ATi 5870 is also a very hefty card and will have no problems playing all current games.

If you are really wanting to create the 'ultimate' gaming rig, though, it will cost you a bit more than $2000. Some people spend up to $10,000 creating the biggest and best gaming rigs.

I think if you paired the CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2031 with a Samsung P2370 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824001330 ) you'll having a very good gaming rig. It should total up to about $1500.

Over the years you can start replacing parts to keep up with the pace, but to be honest I think you should be fine with that for a year or two.


I hope that helps.
Nahumi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI