Does it make a differance of what order the memory must be installed on a MB.
1. 512 MB pc3200 DDR 400 MHZ
2. 1024 MB pc 2700 DDR 333 MHZ
0r should it be this
1. 1024 MB Pc 2700 DDR 333 MHZ
2. 512 MB Pc 3200 DDR 400 MHZ
Reason I am asking, back in the early dos days of the early 80's memory had to be install in order or you would get errors and lock up's and so forth.
Normally my suggestion is to put the slowest memory first because the other will slow down to match its speed.
The memory can not speed up but it can slow down to match the older memory.
Normally my suggestion is to put the slowest memory first because the other will slow down to match its speed.
Interesting. If the other slows down, what difference does it make which goes first?
I know in the old days, the common answer was to put the fastest first because the system would use the first bank first, them move to the second, then the third, and finally, fourth. This assumed the FSB could support the fastest.
I think the answer should be RTFM for your specific motherboard. Today, with dual and triple channel memory, different motherboards use different configurations, depending on what is installed. For example, I have seen dual channel boards use slot 1 and 2 for pair 1, and I have seen dual channel boards use slots 1 and 3 for pair one. Just depends on how the maker designs the board. Therefore, I don't it is safe to assume. Personally, my guess would still be to put the fastest in the first bank, or first channel, but in reality, I don't think it matters - assuming, or course, the RAM is compatible in the first place.
I know in the old days, the common answer was to put the fastest first because the system would use the first bank first, them move to the second, then the third, and finally, fourth.
Nod in the early dos days when I was putting system together DX66 board it was the rule of thumb fastest first. My wifes machine wheich was from gateway back 6 years ago and with no manual and hard to find the spec's on it. It only had 256 megs and I have memory on the way the 1 gig stick pc2700 333 mhx and 512 stick pc3200 400 mhz.
The processer 2.0 mhz, so trying to bump the speed up a tad for her to play a few games and enough ump to watch videos online.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI