This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hardware comparison

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi can anyone tell me if this laptop is as good as my desktop PC

Laptop Specs

Desktop specs are


SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer Manufacturer
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Computer Model
G31M-S2L
Operating System (O/S)
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
Operating System Build (O/S)
(build 2600)
Operating System (version)
5.1.2600
System RAM
2.0 GB
CD or DVD Device
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
System Hard Drive Overview

System Total Storage size:
465.6 GB
Local Disk C:
465.6 GB
Used space:
26.7 GB
Free Space:

438.9 GB

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
Graphics Product
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Video Memory
1.0 GB


MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
Manufacturer
not detected
Model
G31M-S2L
AA Number
not detected
BIOS Vendor
Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS Version
F6
BIOS Release Date
06/05/08
System Memory
2.0 GB
Sound Card
Realtek High Definition Audio


PROCESSOR INFORMATION
Manufacturer
GenuineIntel
Model
Intel® Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools
Intel Processor analysis tools
CPU Speed
2.80 GHz
Link to Processor Specification
Link to Processor Specification


WIRED NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wired Networking Product
not detected
Driver Version
not detected
Intel PROSet Version
not detected



WIRELESS NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wireless Networking Product
not detected
Driver Version
not detected
Intel PROSet/Wireless Version
not detected
That's like comparing apples to oranges. At least they are both fruit but PC is getting close to the old and rotten stage and the laptop is ripe and juicy. With 4Gb of RAM and Win7, I suspect the laptop will run circles around that PC.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. At least they are both fruit but PC is getting close to the old and rotten stage and the laptop is ripe and juicy. With 4Gb of RAM and Win7, I suspect the laptop will run circles around that PC.


Oo what about the graphics card the desktop card is 1 GB laptop is 512MB?
1Gb is nice but I don't think enough to put the PC ahead overall - and still apples and oranges anyway - unless you are seeking a desktop replacement and I personally don't think laptops are suited for that. And note the i3 is designed to work with the integrated graphics to provide excellent graphics performance, even with many games (though no IGP can compete in gaming with a good card). And with more RAM in the laptop, when graphics needs more than the dedicated 512Mb it has on board, it can use some of it.

It sounds like you don't want to get rid of your PC. Don't then. Add some more RAM and get a faster CPU - see http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/…p.aspx?pid=2693

Run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and see if your hardware will support Windows 7. If it does, consider upgrading.
Thanks well that's me happy ill be buying that laptop I find the desktop uncomfortable I am looking forward to chatting and playing Myst on my sofa :D
Well you did not say gaming is what you wanted it for. I generally don't recommend any notebook for serious gaming. Their tiny cases just don't support the cooling needed. And while the i3 is a nice little CPU, I would prefer an i5 - perhaps the Samsung R580. Although I would rather have a 17" screen too.

And note that laptops should not be used on your lap. They need to sit on a hard, flat surface to allow air to flow underneath. I would recommend a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply too.
i was just looking at the i5 I don't play a lot of games just the odd point and click one and i use IMVU my Desktop covers more then what i need thats why i decided to find a laptop that would be as good as my desktop, heavy games i leave them for the playstaion 3 :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI