Software
secunia
3 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
I had some problems with Secunia. The programs was accurate , it was just too much for me.
Is 'Update Checker a reliable yet user friendly program?
Ztruker
Can you elaborate a bit on what you are talking about? Secunia I know about, but what is Update checker? Can you provide a link?
What is it you are trying to do?
Lee
I thought this a a fairly apt comment from the Web. about Secunia. Both their paid for version and their freeware version (I've tried both).
"It's good but, …
You can't blindly approve all updates, I have had Safari suddenly appear on systems, along with RealPlayer on others because 1 system had it, SNP detected it and found an update, I said Yes and BAM.
It will ultimately save time but for right now I'm dedicating one afternoon each week to this, and should probably take more time, just to run a scan, check through, selectively install.
Their help is good, but I'm struggling on setting up new programs to get pushed out, such as UltraVNC. Need to make time to get this and another issue done.
It's a bloody great resource hog! It's got the most RAM allocated of any of my VM's, and it regularly will hang, then respond when I'm trying to work on it. This will be a great candidate for a weekly restart. Had to carve off a fairly big HD for it, too".
The thing updated my favorite Opera version to the latest version which I have tried and hate. It also continually tried to get me 'updated' to Windows 'Auto update' as it considered anything less a security risk. Personally I consider 'auto update' a security risk in itself. Apart from the fact that it will update any time it chooses and especially when I'm doing something important. I like to wait a bit to see if the latest updates have any issues reported and examine all of the updates to define exactly what they 'fix' and if it concerns my OS usage.
Nothing on my PC is allowed to 'auto update' and I've never had a security issue, ever!
Lee
I had some problems with Secunia. The programs was accurate , it was just too much for me.
Is 'Update Checker a reliable yet user friendly program?
I feel for you buddy and know exactly where your coming from.
By the by, there is no such program as 'Update Checker'. Nothing I could find on the Web. anyway (?).
Peter1
Below is an excerpt which will get you to Update Checker.
Once again, Secunia is good, but for users at my level it can lead to errors in judgment. Notice I us the word 'level' in lieu of intelligence
>>"I did use Secunia for a while and don't remember if there is a way to "exclude" FF. Strange… Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling Secunia would do the trick?
I jumped ship and installed "Update Checker" from FileHippo and haven't looked back. http://www.filehippo.com/ A few days ago I did get offered a Beta version of Chrome browser and I could exclude it in their little program. It worked. When there are updates shown in Update Checker.
If interested in Update Checker, it's located in the upper right corner of their main web page."
Once again, Secunia is good, but for users at my level it can lead to errors in judgment. Notice I us the word 'level' in lieu of intelligence
>>"I did use Secunia for a while and don't remember if there is a way to "exclude" FF. Strange… Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling Secunia would do the trick?
I jumped ship and installed "Update Checker" from FileHippo and haven't looked back. http://www.filehippo.com/ A few days ago I did get offered a Beta version of Chrome browser and I could exclude it in their little program. It worked. When there are updates shown in Update Checker.
If interested in Update Checker, it's located in the upper right corner of their main web page."
Peter1
rif
I think Secunia is an excellent updater for people who are concerned about security.
Try out Sumo, i think it detects more programs than filehippo and also reports multiple installations of the same program (java for example)
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo
Try out Sumo, i think it detects more programs than filehippo and also reports multiple installations of the same program (java for example)
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo
Peter1
I think Secunia is an excellent updater for people who are concerned about security.
Try out Sumo, i think it detects more programs than filehippo and also reports multiple installations of the same program (java for example)
http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo
>>Have you read the reviews?
rif
I've tested it myself and it works well. It will notify you of updates that aren't necessarily for security such as new features or functionality and it includes the security updates as well. However, it does not tell you if the update is for security or functionality. If you can't/don't use Secunia, this the best alternative IMHO.
Doug
rif
Thanks for the suggestion and link.
These Forums are all about Members helping Members.
Your contribution is welcome. Thanks.
Folks find various new utilities and software all the time, and it is great that developers are creating new options.
Since we do not know SUMO nor has it been reviewed here at WTT, we cannot give it our own recommendation at this time.
Possibly more of our folks will give it a test drive and contribute their own review.
Doug
Thanks for the suggestion and link.
These Forums are all about Members helping Members.
Your contribution is welcome. Thanks.
Folks find various new utilities and software all the time, and it is great that developers are creating new options.
Since we do not know SUMO nor has it been reviewed here at WTT, we cannot give it our own recommendation at this time.
Possibly more of our folks will give it a test drive and contribute their own review.
Doug
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI