This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help Finding a Missing Folder or Recover Deleted

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just discovered a folder I had stored on my computer is completely gone and I just created it around 30 minutes ago and saved it and everything. I went back to access a document from the folder and it is missing. I did empty some items from the recycling bin but I am 99% sure I didn't delete that folder. Can anyone tell me how I can find it or restore the deleted items from the recycling bin. I have tried searching for the folder using the search function but it didnt find anything.
I'm glad you are already running the Recurva software. It is vitally important to refrain from 'doing it later' as anything you do is moving files around and also overwriting files and possibly the folder you are looking for. If the folder has not been overwritten, Recurva will recover it if it was deleted in the first place. The time Recurva takes to do it's job will depend on how much deleted material is on your HD.
Ok, so the file was either overwritten after being deleted, or it never went to the Recycle Bin in the first place of which you were 99% sure of. It was worth checking though.

'Google Desktop' search is a free HD search engine that might be worth a try if all else fails: http://desktop.google.com/ . There are other similar programs around too. GD was just an example.

Have you very recently installed any new programs?


Some information about the folder might help.

Firstly, It is worth making sure that the folder hasn't accidentally been 'hidden'.
——————–
Open My Documents / Tools / Folder Options / View Tab / mark: 'Show hidden files and folders'.
——————–

What did you name the folder and where did you store it?

Was it a standard container folder, an application folder or a Zip and what file types were in the folder?

Where did you create the folder (on the desktop, My Documents, within an application)?

What method did you use to store the folder (drag and drop, move to, etc.)?

Knowing any or all of the above. might prove helpful.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI