This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Video Codecs!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just recently build a new computer and also installed windows 7. But there are alot of things that may not be updated like drivers and such. One particular problem is my video's are not running smoothly. I know this isnt a hardware problem cause it was fine with my old computer. But after i partitioned and reinstalled windows 7. All my HD video's are either skipping or slowing down or lagging. Do you happen to know how i can fix this issue, what codec packs should i use so i can watch all high quality formats on streaming websites. I go to youtube, not even 720p res videos are playing on there.

Right now i can't even watch regular MKV file formats in 1080 directly from my computer. I was able to before so how do i fix this.

I used Codec LIte before but it caused serous conflicting issues with my OS and also caused BSOD crashes so i don't want to use that. Do you happen to know a better codec pack to check out that has all the available codecs such as x264, and divx media codecs that i need, im sure thats what my problem is.


Feel free to move this thread to the appropriate location if its in the wrong section of the forum
I am not a fan of codec packs, they install so much you may never need, and the big name in this field is the mega codec pack, but this installs the old versions of quick time etc, at least thats what it seems like, which personally I don't like, I don't know what you are using as a media player, but VLC plays pretty much anything you throw at it, there may be exceptions, but it's very good, but if you wish to check if it is a codec issue then there are 2 tools to use, GSpot (be warned, a search of this program also brings up lots of "adult" content) and SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective, hopefully one or both will highlight any missing codec's, if this does not show anything missing then I don't know what to suggest after this, so hope this gets you started anyway.
What program are you using to play video? Windows media player? If so I recommend you get vlc player. Its pretty much the best video/audio player out there. I had it for quite some time and never had any problems with it. VLC also plays pretty much every file format out there and most of the codecs are already preinstalled with the software which is very convenient.
if they play at all, i'd think the codecs needed were already installed, so i'd be looking at making sure my video card drivers were installed. :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI