This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Thought I had lost it, internet

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I use avira antivrus, turned on PC yesterday morning and it came up `antivira update` I let it run, 10 minutes later avira pops up a message 1 malware and something like `C:/windows system32\ws2_32dll` I clicked on delete and next thing I have lost my interner connection. dayam! so boots up the laptop thinking I need to come on this forum for help, Laptop wouldnt boot, something about a socket or DVD compartment not closed properly. Nope everything looks ok, eventually I got the laptop working dont know what the problem was. Done a system restore on the PC and that works fine now. I am sure the PC problem came from the Avira update, anyone else experienced this? Scudo
This machine runs Avira (free).
Updates automatically one time daily.
I ran a manual update just now and rebooted.
No problem.
Internet connection is fine.

I'd be more concerned about whatever that detection and removal was.

Particularly because that is the dynamic link library file for WinSock (the program that configures network connection)

You will need to replace Ws2_32.dll.

Here's a step-by-step and resource:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5172093_replace-wsdll.html

Let us know how that goes.

Then you may also benefit from running a couple of online Malware Scans, and post in our Infections Removal Forum if you have any detections.

Best Regards
Thanks for the reply Doug, but before I jump in there can I just clarify that after doing the system restore my internet connections came back and the PC appears to be working ok so should I still be looking to replace the Ws2_32.dll. thanks
No. Your solution is fine. I would, however, consider running a few online scans and review with Malware Team over in that forum if you get any detections. Best Regards