Dutchie
Topic Starter
Hi,
I am having multiple problems with my HP Pavilion DV5 (product # NA425AV) laptop. I was running a PandaOnlineScan as I posted my issues in the Virus/malware forum (http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry663915) when suddenly some of the issues improved. Panda had found a Trojan and Norton had found a different Trojan the day before so I’m assuming that is what caused the improvements. LDTate sent me here to continue with the repair. I’m including the original symptoms and updates on current conditions.
Here are the details:
•Running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit. ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics Driver. AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core QL-60. 1900 MHZ processor. 4096 MB memory. Purchased directly from HP in Dec of '08. I have checked to see if my model is on the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement list and it's not.
The issues most prevalent for the last six months or so are:
• CPU running at 98 -100% almost all the time, very slow IE, IE and other programs like MS Word not responding.
• A couple of months ago, both my battery and volume icons disappeared. They are both checked on the Notification Area tab in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties but will not reappear.
• It has always run hot but has gotten extreme in the last six months. It runs hot enough to burn your legs if it's sitting on your lap and lately it's even hot on top. This past week it started randomly shutting down which I assume was due to the heat issue. When I would restart, it would run for a bit and then shut down again. I have used compressed air to try to clean the vent but it has not helped. I started to take it apart to get to the fan but after removing all the screws and getting as far as lifting the corner of the keyboard, I decided it might be over my head.
• Last week after one of the restarts, I got a warning from Norton that my antivirus was turned off. I tried to turn it back on but it would come back and say that it had failed. I ended up doing a chat with a Norton tech and authorized remote access. Norton said they were going to remove my Norton 2009 software and update it with the 2010 version. The tech was working for just a short time and suddenly a BSOD appeared saying:
Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Initial Session Process or System Process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc00000000 (0xc0000001 0x001005a0).
The system has been shut down.
• I ended up working on my own trying to restart without the BSOD - tried safe mode last known good config multiple times but kept getting the BSOD. I finally was able to start normally but then it would shut down because of the overheating issue (again, I'm assuming that's why). I put some freezer packs under the bottom to cool it down and eventually was able to install the updated Norton. When I then started up IE, my homepage was hijacked and I was redirected to MSN.com.
• Decided to contact HP to check on the overheat issue. Hours online with a tech (using my BF's laptop to chat), tech had me update the BIOS and reinstall Power Management to no avail. Tech said he believed the motherboard and the controllers had gone bad. Of course it's out of warranty by 6 month and he offered a repair at $400. Also said I could try a system recovery. When I asked him about known heat issues w/Pavilion models, he gave me a phone number to call customer support. I have not bothered to do that.
After dealing with the HP tech, I experienced additional errors:
I went in to try to back up my data and my cd/dvd drive had disappeared. I ended up putting in a SanDisk into a USB hub and the cd/dvd drive reappeared but won't function. It tells me to put in a writable CD which of course is what I have put in already. I tried using a Microsoft Fixit solution but when I tried to download, it tells me there was an error in downloading (nothing specific) and tells me to try again later.
• Catalyst Control Centre Host Application has stopped working.
• hpCaslNotification has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
• Error 1601: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Check Problem Reports and Solutions in Control Panel. I checked and there was nothing listed under Reports and Solutions. I then looked at System Info and it showed Windows Error Reporting as disabled. I have since enabled it.
• 251 CMOS Checksum Error
• msiexec.exe Application Error Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
Updates as of today 2-July:
• Battery and volume icons are still missing
• Catalyst Control Centre Host Application has stopped working.
• hpCaslNotification has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
• I tried to download the MS Fixit Solution again and still get the download error but for some reason now my dvd driver shows up and IS working.
• No Norton errors in the last two days.
I have not had the following errors again although I don't remember exactly what I was doing when they popped up to start with so I can't replicate and say for sure that they are gone:
• IError 1601: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Check Problem Reports and Solutions in Control Panel.
• 251 CMOS Checksum Error
• msiexec.exe Application Error Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
Improvements:
•I have not had the BSOD error since I recovered from the Norton fiasco two days ago.
•The CPU usage seems to have dropped dramatically - running between 19 - 55% right now, with occasional spikes to 100.
•IE is running a bit better but still isn't where it should be - still periodic hangin/hour-glassing and some "not responding" messages. MS Word is running somewhat better but has hour-glassed twice since I've been typing this.
•Early this week I bought a laptop cooling unit for the base and the overheating issue improved and shutdowns stopped. In the last day, even without the cooling unit, overheating seems to be significantly improved - right now I'd actually be able to work with it on my bare legs if I wanted to but I'm afraid the improvement may not last. My computer repair guy is gone til mid August so I wish I could take it apart to clean the fan myself. I started to take it apart but after removing all the screws and getting as far as lifting the corner of the keyboard, I decided it might be over my head. Couldn't find a detailed "how to" for this model in my online search. Any tips here?
Thanks much!
Dutchie
I am having multiple problems with my HP Pavilion DV5 (product # NA425AV) laptop. I was running a PandaOnlineScan as I posted my issues in the Virus/malware forum (http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry663915) when suddenly some of the issues improved. Panda had found a Trojan and Norton had found a different Trojan the day before so I’m assuming that is what caused the improvements. LDTate sent me here to continue with the repair. I’m including the original symptoms and updates on current conditions.
Here are the details:
•Running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit. ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics Driver. AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core QL-60. 1900 MHZ processor. 4096 MB memory. Purchased directly from HP in Dec of '08. I have checked to see if my model is on the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement list and it's not.
The issues most prevalent for the last six months or so are:
• CPU running at 98 -100% almost all the time, very slow IE, IE and other programs like MS Word not responding.
• A couple of months ago, both my battery and volume icons disappeared. They are both checked on the Notification Area tab in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties but will not reappear.
• It has always run hot but has gotten extreme in the last six months. It runs hot enough to burn your legs if it's sitting on your lap and lately it's even hot on top. This past week it started randomly shutting down which I assume was due to the heat issue. When I would restart, it would run for a bit and then shut down again. I have used compressed air to try to clean the vent but it has not helped. I started to take it apart to get to the fan but after removing all the screws and getting as far as lifting the corner of the keyboard, I decided it might be over my head.
• Last week after one of the restarts, I got a warning from Norton that my antivirus was turned off. I tried to turn it back on but it would come back and say that it had failed. I ended up doing a chat with a Norton tech and authorized remote access. Norton said they were going to remove my Norton 2009 software and update it with the 2010 version. The tech was working for just a short time and suddenly a BSOD appeared saying:
Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Initial Session Process or System Process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc00000000 (0xc0000001 0x001005a0).
The system has been shut down.
• I ended up working on my own trying to restart without the BSOD - tried safe mode last known good config multiple times but kept getting the BSOD. I finally was able to start normally but then it would shut down because of the overheating issue (again, I'm assuming that's why). I put some freezer packs under the bottom to cool it down and eventually was able to install the updated Norton. When I then started up IE, my homepage was hijacked and I was redirected to MSN.com.
• Decided to contact HP to check on the overheat issue. Hours online with a tech (using my BF's laptop to chat), tech had me update the BIOS and reinstall Power Management to no avail. Tech said he believed the motherboard and the controllers had gone bad. Of course it's out of warranty by 6 month and he offered a repair at $400. Also said I could try a system recovery. When I asked him about known heat issues w/Pavilion models, he gave me a phone number to call customer support. I have not bothered to do that.
After dealing with the HP tech, I experienced additional errors:
I went in to try to back up my data and my cd/dvd drive had disappeared. I ended up putting in a SanDisk into a USB hub and the cd/dvd drive reappeared but won't function. It tells me to put in a writable CD which of course is what I have put in already. I tried using a Microsoft Fixit solution but when I tried to download, it tells me there was an error in downloading (nothing specific) and tells me to try again later.
• Catalyst Control Centre Host Application has stopped working.
• hpCaslNotification has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
• Error 1601: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Check Problem Reports and Solutions in Control Panel. I checked and there was nothing listed under Reports and Solutions. I then looked at System Info and it showed Windows Error Reporting as disabled. I have since enabled it.
• 251 CMOS Checksum Error
• msiexec.exe Application Error Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
Updates as of today 2-July:
• Battery and volume icons are still missing
• Catalyst Control Centre Host Application has stopped working.
• hpCaslNotification has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
• I tried to download the MS Fixit Solution again and still get the download error but for some reason now my dvd driver shows up and IS working.
• No Norton errors in the last two days.
I have not had the following errors again although I don't remember exactly what I was doing when they popped up to start with so I can't replicate and say for sure that they are gone:
• IError 1601: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Check Problem Reports and Solutions in Control Panel.
• 251 CMOS Checksum Error
• msiexec.exe Application Error Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
Improvements:
•I have not had the BSOD error since I recovered from the Norton fiasco two days ago.
•The CPU usage seems to have dropped dramatically - running between 19 - 55% right now, with occasional spikes to 100.
•IE is running a bit better but still isn't where it should be - still periodic hangin/hour-glassing and some "not responding" messages. MS Word is running somewhat better but has hour-glassed twice since I've been typing this.
•Early this week I bought a laptop cooling unit for the base and the overheating issue improved and shutdowns stopped. In the last day, even without the cooling unit, overheating seems to be significantly improved - right now I'd actually be able to work with it on my bare legs if I wanted to but I'm afraid the improvement may not last. My computer repair guy is gone til mid August so I wish I could take it apart to clean the fan myself. I started to take it apart but after removing all the screws and getting as far as lifting the corner of the keyboard, I decided it might be over my head. Couldn't find a detailed "how to" for this model in my online search. Any tips here?
Thanks much!
Dutchie