I built my pc and changed a few parts over time. I just don't know why my pc randomly freezes then few seconds after it freezes to point I cannot click on anything, it goes black the screen. But the pc is still running. The only way to get it back to normal is to force hold the power button and restart. Then its completely fine.
It doesn't happen all the time its random about maybe a once or twice a month thing.. I don't even have to be gaming. In fact it never has done this when I was gaming. But It can be sitting here idle or I'm browsing the web and it happens anyway. Tried checking the windows log when I turned it back on I personally cant find anything that may specify why its happening other than the unexpected shutdown in the log from me force restarting it and the "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.". And when it turns back on it gives a bunch of errors as well related my cpu cores such as:
"Performance power management features on processor 0 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."
Which I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not or if that's something else. My Bios is up to date along with my drivers..
I do know on a early version of windows 10 when I made the mistake of installing windows 10 from a flash drive I downloaded when it first came out with a new Ryzen 7 cpu the pc would freeze but gave no black screen very often.I had to keep restarting til I got the latest windows 10 updates finally in before it would freeze again and it stopped doing that when I got the latest updates..
I've also attached a HWMonitor log, not sure if anything looks off or not power wise.
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
GPU PNY XLR8 GTX 960 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard: PRIME X370-PRO
RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
Not the best quality of PSU I`m afraid Drasamax so would like to check your voltages along the way, for now can you do the following for us please;
Please download MINITOOLBOXand run it.
Checkmark the following boxes:
Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)
Attach the results to your next reply for us please.
Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.
DownloadSpeedfan from hereandinstall it.Onceit's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.
[external image: speedfan.png]
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)
Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here
To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start…all programs…accessories…paint….left click in the white area …press CTRL + V…click on file…click on save…save it to your desktop…name it something related to the screen your capturing… BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG …otherwise it may be to big to upload… Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have… click on Choose File…desktop…find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File…on the lower left…after it says upload successful…click on add reply like you normally would.
Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.
No problem regarding Speedfan, it cant seem to detect the readings on some MBs which is most likely to do with the boards own monitoring software, both programs are only a guide in any event.
Only one reading that looks a bit low and that is on the +12V rail, the min reading of 11.772V though is not that close to the lowest that it needs to be before causing issues, this btw is 11.400V and worth keeping a check on.
Quite a few Windows errors in the log, problem is they could be being caused when the computer is locking up and you doing a hard shut down.
Quick question, is McAfee AV a paid for or a free product.
Also I ordered a Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified since I also had a feeling it may be the PSU from what I researched online before I decided to try here. Especially since I'm upgrading my GPU to a GTX 1080. And always wanted to make my cable management much easier in my fulltower anyway.
For testing purposes,would you be ok with temporarily uninstalling McAfee so that we can rule it in or out as the cause, if ok to do this, please make a note of your McAfee licence key first.
Corsair make some of the best PSUs and would definitely have upgraded the present Thermaltake PSU before upgrading to a GTX 1080 but atm there is nothing to say that this PSU is your problem.
NB: Too late now but are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer.
Okay. I uninstalled it. Now I only have Windows Defender since it auto turns on when it detects no antivirus anyway. Now what?
I also tried running prime95 and the hwmonitor to try to see if theres any difference in voltages under actual load on my cpu that pulls from a +12v rail as is. Got this which doesnt seem to make a difference: