This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Acer Synaptics Touchpad stopped working

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 running Windows XP. I recently installed a LightWave USB TV/AV Combo TV aerial unit to enable me to watch TV on my laptop. I live in Uganda so don't have many options apart from this in my place. Everything was fine for a day or so and then my Touchpad stopped working. I plugged in a USB mouse which works. But I want to get my Synaptics TouchPad working again. I reinstalled the latest driver from the Acer website. During installation a message popped up as follows: "Files that are required for windows to run have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files. Insert Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 3 CD" So, I don't have this CD. I installed SP3 through windows automatic updates! I have the CD for another computer but it won't recognise this CD in the computer having the problems. Now, when I boot up, the touchpad works for around 5 seconds after my desktop shows but then it freezes. I've tried unplugging the USB mouse and rebooting but the same thing happens. I really need this USB TV tuner unit. I'm not 100% that this is the reason for the conflict. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 running Windows XP.

I recently installed a LightWave USB TV/AV Combo TV aerial unit to enable me to watch TV on my laptop. I live in Uganda so don't have many options apart from this in my place.

Everything was fine for a day or so and then my Touchpad stopped working.

I plugged in a USB mouse which works.

But I want to get my Synaptics TouchPad working again.

I reinstalled the latest driver from the Acer website. During installation a message popped up as follows:

"Files that are required for windows to run have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files. Insert Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 3 CD"

So, I don't have this CD. I installed SP3 through windows automatic updates!

I have the CD for another computer but it won't recognise this CD in the computer having the problems.

Now, when I boot up, the touchpad works for around 5 seconds after my desktop shows but then it freezes.

I've tried unplugging the USB mouse and rebooting but the same thing happens.

I really need this USB TV tuner unit.

I'm not 100% that this is the reason for the conflict.

Any suggestions?

Thanks



Hiya Willyontour,

Sorry to hear about your problems, before we can get started we need a little more info:

1. You said that you have a Acer Aspire 5100 running Windows XP. could you give more info specs on this machine.

2. I recently installed a LightWave USB TV/AV Combo TV aerial unit to enable me to watch TV on my laptop. I live in Uganda so don't have many options apart from this in my place. Everything was fine for a day or so and then my Touchpad stopped working.
I plugged in a USB mouse which works. But I want to get my Synaptics TouchPad working again.

2A. -I reinstalled the latest driver from the Acer website. During installation a message popped up as follows:
I do the same thing with my labtop using a USB mouse so I am a bit puzzle about this, using that device should not have removed the touch pad drivers but some how it did. Did you uninstalled the drivers or disable them? because you said you reinstalled them.

2B. Just asking did you download the correct drivers for the machine and the correct operating system, 32 bit drivers / 64 bit / Win XP/ or Vista drivers ?

3. "Files that are required for windows to run have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files. Insert Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 3 CD"

3A. - Files that are required for windows to run have been replaced by unrecognised versions,
1. What files are they talking about? the drivers for the touch pad or the files for windows to run?
2. Kinda making me think we have more than one problem here.

4. So, I don't have this CD. I installed SP3 through windows automatic updates! - I have the CD for another computer but it won't recognise this CD in the computer having the problems.
4A. If you were trying to use a differant version of an operating system, it may be possible that windows has become corrupted when using that cd..

5. Before we go into the rest of the problems listed below lets start with the info I am asking for. Now, when I boot up, the touchpad works for around 5 seconds after my desktop shows but then it freezes.

I've tried unplugging the USB mouse and rebooting but the same thing happens.

I really need this USB TV tuner unit.

I'm not 100% that this is the reason for the conflict.

Any suggestions?
I'm struggling to follow what you've written but I'll try. I uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled them. My machine is an ACER Aspire 5100 running windows XP. What specs do you need? Yes, I installed the correct drivers for my system. "Files that are required for windows to run have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files. Insert Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 3 CD" - I don't know what files they are talking about - that was the exact pop up message.
Q1. Is this the correct info of your machine ?
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook…re5100sp2.shtml

Q2. Wanted to be sure about the drivers that you downloaded were the correct ones.
http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/

Q3. "Files that are required for windows to run have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files. Insert Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 3 CD" - I don't know what files they are talking about - that was the exact pop up message.

Was hoping you could give more info in this part, does it show up when booting up, or shows up when running a program or shows up running the USB tuner, ect. ect.

Like I am thinking if files are required for windows to run, not the touch pad ones, but just the windows operating system files, we may have more of a problem at hand.
1. Yes, that's my computer 2. Yes I was at that exact link and downloaded the touchpad driver. 3. This shows when installing the driver that I downloaded. I'm sure there's just a conflict that happened when I installed the TV tuner USB device. My touchpad works for 5 seconds after starting up. I can see the icon in the system tray for it. I can select it and see everything there. Just when I try and use the touchpad, nothing happens. Thanks for you help.
Hi willyontour, I have touched base with schrauber who you were working with in the malware forum please finish your topic with him before posting in other areas of the forum once he has given you the all clear from malware, then if other issues remain, they can be addressed in out tech forums thank-you.
Hi, I am working with Schrauber on my Dell Inspriton Laptop. The acer is my wife's machine that I am trying to fix. They are completely separate faults. Surely we can try and fix the touchpad on the acer at the same time as fixing the internet upload problem on my dell?
OK, I wasn't aware you were working on different machines at the same time, that's not a problem as long as there is no malware on this machine as well, if they both connect to the internet via the same router, there is a possibility they could both be infected, but Jimbo1 may be able to determine that here.
Willyontour sorry for the delay, but atm my network is out of action due to being hit by lighting, hope to be back up and running by late evening or monday. I am using my sister computer to post here to let the others know about my downtime. They will be several things we need to try and see what is causing your problems and cannot do it with her computer because she has to be at work and I cannot use her computer for long. The problems may be Several things: 1. The Touch pad switch may be turned off. 2. It may be the USB TV Tuner 3. It may be the touch pad driver 4. It may be the touch pad it self causing the problems. 5. May end up getting you to do a system restore. I will get back online asap when my network is back up and running, just wanted to keep you posted to let you know we did not forget about you. Jimbo1
Ok Willyontour, I am back up and running, as I said we need to take a look at several things here, please follow the listed items below. Note: Before proceeding with the items listed below make sure you have a recent check point to do a system restore in event that something goes wrong.

Here's How:
•Go to Start
•All Programs
•Assesories
•System Tools
•System Restore and create a New Restore Point
•Exit System Restore

1. The Touch pad switch may be turned off.
To be sure it’s not off when the OS system boots back up to normal, Try hitting

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI