This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vista can't see a network, but can see others

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My laptop running Vista can't see the house network at all. 3 other laptops in the house can access it fine. It was only set up the other day, so when i turned my laptop on yesterday I searched wireless networks, found it (with full strength) and 2 other networks (with faint strength). I connected fine, and used the internet for a good couple of hours. And then I restarted and when my internet wasn't working I realised that I couldn't see the network at all. I can still see the other 2 faint networks. The only thing that was changed was when the pop up box came up saying "Is this a home, work or private network?". I can't remember what I did at that point, but it was very possibly the wrong one. I've searched for info on that setting and can't find anything. I found the router in the manage networks area, checked the SSID setting, didn't help, then I deleted it, didn't help, and added it manually, didn't help. I've also tried the disabling the wireless, and checking drivers etc. All the windows 'diagnose' and 'fix' things are telling me there are no problems at all. This is driving me nuts.
I've read through that thanks, no luck. I've found to change the setting I was unsure of, you click on customize when the connection is showing. I can't get the connection to show, so can't see the customize button. But from what I've read about that setting it doesn't appear to be the problem. I rebooted the modem a few more times, I've stopped short of resetting it as there are so many other computers in the house using it no problem, I don't want to break theirs. I've also ensured that the router is broadcasting the SSID.
This may sound silly, but did you accidentally turn off the Wireless on the Laptop? There is usually a switch on the front or a Fn key you press to do this and it's not always obvious if it's in the on or off state. What is the make and model number of the computer? The Users manual should tell us where the switch is.
Nope, it can see other networks. I can always see another two or three networks nearby, though very faint. I don't remember the model I can check when I get home (it's a Dell), but the switch is right next to the power button and glows blue. I tried turning it off and restarting and turning it back on numerous times.
Make sure Windows is managing the wireless network, not some other software.
  • Open Services (Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter)
  • Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration
  • Set Startup type to Automatic
  • Click the Start button to start the service
  • Click Apply then OK
  • Open Network Connections.
  • Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
  • Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box.
  • Click OK.
You should have the Wireless Network icon in the system area of the Taskbar. Right click on it and select View available networks or similar words. Pick your network and click on the Connect button.

If that doesn't work:

Open Device Manager (Start, Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter)
Expand Network adapters then right click on the Wireless device and select Delete.
Reboot.

Windows will re-detect the wireless device and reload the drivers. Once that completes, right click on the icon in the System tray as above …
Hey, I've tried all you've said and nothing has helped. I tried deleteing the wireless in the device manager, it found it, reinstalled the drivers no problems. I got online with a different connection and checked that it was the most up to date. Only items of note from your instructions below: Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration - I don't have this item in my services at all. I checked standard and extended. I also don't have the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box where mentioned, I assume the instructions are XP? But I am sure that I am using windows. I have an HP one that came with the computer that I normally have hidden and forgotten, but I have also tried using that one, it can't see the network either. I then put it back to using the windows one. I can still see 2 wireless networks, just not mine.
Hey, I have done multiple google searches and have tried every possible suggestion. I am in IT support so already had a pretty good knowledge of how to set up wireless networks. Originally it took me seconds to set up the network. Now, after reading all the sites and looking through settings, I think I know most every area. There was one suggestion on a site that was to add a specific item to the registry. Reading it, it just didn't sound quite right so I didn't try that. The issue must be a small setting or….. I don't know. But it's not a simple config thing. Main things that I find puzzling: - It's not an issue connecting to the network, because I just can't see it full stop. It's like it doesn't exist to my computer. - I can see other wireless networks, just not this one. - Multiple other computers can see my wireless network just fine. - Mine connected perfectly and worked perfectly for a day. - Every windows diagnostic etc reports that the computer has no problems. As said previously, I've checked all obvious, it's turned on. It's 2 metres away, so in range. The SSID is broadcasting. I have manually done the connection and ticked the connect if not broadcasting. I have deleted the wireless adapter and readded. I've rebooted the modem multiple times. I've turned my firewall off. Any other ideas?

The only thing that was changed was when the pop up box came up saying "Is this a home, work or private network?". I can't remember what I did at that point, but it was very possibly the wrong one

Try setting this to "Home" and see how you go.
Regards
paws
Another suggestion I received is to check to see if the router is doing MAC filtering and that there is no broadcast channel mismatch. Unlikely, but you never know.
Seems like a simple thing to try. Earlier you mentioned rebooting the modem, but have you physically removed the power from your wireless router, waitied about 10 seconds and plugged it back in? This has router problem written all over it. I see this regularly with these cheap home wireless routers. Next thing you know you can't see the dang network on one or more machines. Powering it off and powering it back on usually solves the problem. I would not hesitate to try and reset the router and reconfigure your wireless settings afterwards. If powering it off does not fix the problem, I'd be willing to bet Ztruker's money that if you reset the router the default wireless network would immediately show up on your laptop. Once done, make sure you have the most recent firmware loaded on the router.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI