This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Bios upgrade and doesnt work

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have HP m7680n Motherboard is P5BW-LA I did bios upgrade to v 3.17 please dont ask me why you did it .Then my computer doesnt work.When open up my computer I seen award bios detail then blue HP screen and then black screen. I severeal times tried to setup new XP system but I cant..Everytime give me blue screen and error messages Please help me
Hi, and welcome to the WTT forums
:welcome:
Sorry to hear about the BIOS problems…..

I did bios upgrade to v 3.17 please dont ask me why


1 I will have to ask you why you did this,? as its only necessary to flash (update) your BIOS if there is a serious problem that the updated BIOS is designed to fix, or an additional function that is very important to you is introduced by the new BIOS and you simply must have it…..otherwise a lot of experienced technicians would recommend that folks leave their BIOS well alone!

2 When you flash a BIOS, it can be a risky procedure…… if you get it wrong then your machine likely wont boot, as unfortunately you have found out
3 The BIOS that you updated to (V3.17) looks to be the BIOS for a different motherboard….. its confusing because your motherboard is a:
P5BW-LA
whilst the BIOS you updated to is for :
P5BW-LE (note the last character is E but on the one above its A ….

4 If you take your machine into a local computer repair shop they will probably recommend that the best repair is a new motherboard and this will be expensive……..
(the labour can be nearly 3 hours) + the cost of the new motherboard (and they are not cheap.)

5 If you contact HP they may say the same, but there is a chance they may re-progam the Eprom for you….(a thin chance but anything's possible) but do get a firm quotation before you agree to anything.

6 there is also a thin chance that a local competent computer technician will be able to either reprogram the Eprom or replace the BIOS chip on the motherboard, or has the skill and experience to make a crisis disc, find the original BIOS files (from HP) and undo what you have done……
Please be aware that the process in 6 above is technically quite challenging and time consuming, and generally its financially uneconomic to do it…..

7 You could try to do the work yourself if you like researching and trying to find the original BIOS files but see my remarks above about technically challenging and time consuming work.
If you want to try it yourself then you can make a start by going here:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21209

8 The cost of new computers has fallen recently..would it be worth you considering buying a new one?

9 One final thought if you can get into the BIOS setup screen then you could try resetting BIOS to default /safe/conservative, saving the changes and seeing if the machine will reboot….. there is a 1% chance that it will….. but its worth a try!

Having considered all the above I'd recommend you contact HP or their accredited service agent in your locality, as a first step……..this is particularly important if the machine is covered by a service agreement

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Regards
paws
I would just point out this thread: http://forums.whatthetech.com/BIOS_UPDATE_…p;hl=flash+BIOS

WIth nearly the identical computer and problem and fix.

However, is this computer giving a bootblock message?

Do you see any message about pressing F10 for setup, or F1 for setup or something like that?

If not I would just try clearing the CMOS - Here's how for your specific computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…product=3299181

But, my final thought is you aren't having a problem with your BIOS or motherboard at all. I think you have a bad hard drive.
Thank you for your time I did load cmos default and motherboard cmos reset Bios detect all drivers,hard discs,etc firstly coming HP blue screen then drivers and when load the system it cant and I see dark screen I called HP support several times,but they said me "no support or replacement parts for this PC"
Hi Derebeyi. Please understand that we really do want to provide you help with your problem. But, I'm a bit confused. I'm pretty sure that English is not your native language so there is a bit of a barrier there. Can you please answer a couple of questions for us to clear some things up. First, are you able to enter the BIOS setup feature of your computer where you can configure hard drives, and boot settings? Second, are you able to boot a Windows XP installation CD and attempt a reinstallation of Windows? And, have you done so already? Lastly, after turning your computer on, and after you see the HP screen, do you see the windows XP logo and progress bar moving across the bottom of the screen while it loads? To the best of your ability please use the same terminology I use so that I can be sure that we are talking about the same thing. Thanks.
Sorry about that 1.Yes,I do 2.XP already in disk but when I do reinstallation of XP it give me an error messages on blue screen as "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down tp prevent damage to your computer.STOP : 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0x00000000,0x00000000)
Ok Derebeyi. The problem is you have a SATA hard drive and you are not providing the SATA drivers using the F6 key when prompted during windows setup. To avoid having to find and provide the drivers on floppy disk, you can go into your BIOS configuration and change the SATA mode to IDE or Compatible rather than SATA or RAID mode. By doing so you will no longer get the blue screen you are getting during setup and will be able to successfully perform a repair or fresh install of Windows. Only change this setting if you are planning on doing a complete reload of your operating system. Note: I'm not sure of the circumstances of your situation or how you got to here. If there is important data or programs on this computer we might want to address this now before you perform any type of repair or fresh install. Otherwise, if you are prepared to lose data and programs on the computer I would suggest you just complete a fresh install of your operating system and reload the drivers, updates, and other software afterwards. If you are only trying to fix the blank screen issue then reloading the operating system with the Windows disc is not necessary yet as there may be other alternatives. But, I am still unclear of what you are actually seeing and you didn't answer my third question which would help me to troubleshoot your problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI