Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MS- office on Linux

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

hey friends! May i know if MS-Office is compatible with Linux operating system? If i change the OS from windows XP to linux, will i be able to do my work on Ms-word and MS-excel? thanks in advance for any help

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

If using linux then Open Office might be the office suite of choice...
Generally Microsoft Office suites are not meant to be run on a Linux system..... however many clever folks in the linux world have come up with "Wine" which allows quite a few windows programs to run pretty successfully under Linux.
For further info, see here:
http://www.winehq.org/
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

Most popular Linux distributions, including Ubuntu and OpenSUSE come with Open Office and Firefox pre-installed. Keep in mind that if you have a single-use license of MS Office and it is already installed on a machine that you use, there may be problems trying to install it again on a second machine. The situation you might run into is during WGA and updates. Your copy of MS Office may become flagged as "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting." At that point, you would not be able to obtain additional updates.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 asim2010

asim2010

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:28 AM

Yes, it is compatible. Open Office can open any MS Office file format. It can also save your documents or spreedsheets in MS Office format.

#5 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

i only use linux os, so am a great fan of open source, but to be honest if i had to use ms office for work, then i'd stick to using a windows operating system to run it on. the reason for this is because it's for work, so needs to be 100% reliable and accurate everytime you use it, now good as open office is, or running ms office under wine, there are times you might run into compatibility problems(not so often now, but i think there are still a few around), and where work is concerned it's just not worth the risk of running into one of these problems when you can least afford it. :popcorn: just noticed the date of the original post. :D

Edited by terry1966, 09 December 2010 - 02:21 PM.

#6 cherrywarrior

cherrywarrior

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi Mobilemania, Actually you have two options here. One is to use a program like wine(you can get it from www.winehq.org) which is fine. But remember one thing , dont expect Ms office to run as smootly as it does on windows, because it is designed for windows only. The second option is to use openoffice.org which functions the same as MS office and also uses the same format, literally there is no difference between the two. Thank you.

Edited by cherrywarrior, 10 January 2012 - 12:00 AM.