Software
email program
5 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
Hello
I have had problems with Windows Live wherein the subject line has letters pile upon each other(?truncation).
Thunderbird seemed to need Gmail to work at all for me.
Can one still use Outlook Express or is it subject to security breaches being old fashioned?
Obviously I am looking for simple email program that will be used primarily to respond to those hyperlinks that pop up and need a reply, or, to contact a moderator.
Ease of installation, simplicity and dependabilityare in my search.
Thank you
paws
Your details indicate you are using Win XP as an operating system….. if that is the case then it comes with Outlook Express and that is OK fo most folks as an email client.
Regards
paws
Peter1
Your details indicate you are using Win XP as an operating system….. if that is the case then it comes with Outlook Express and that is OK fo most folks as an email client.
Regards
paws
>>As long as it is safe I'll be happy to use it.
Thank you
Ztruker
Just make sure you keep current with Updates from MS.
Peter1
Since manually removing cookies, I seem to have better access tothe forum. I am waiting for further instructions.
I got Out look Express to work with the desktop but the laptop keeps popping up a box that reuires a password and a chage of identity.
When I had Thunderbird, both pcs worked but when i closed my Gmail account, it stopped working on both. I treid Windows Live mail and agin, the dektop worked out but the laptop had trouble with the subject line stacking letters upon each other?truncation.
At this point I am really in the soup as I need an email program but amnot having much luck.
With the information given, do you have any ideas?
Ztruker
Thunderbird has nothing whatsoever to do with Gmail, other than it can access your Gmail account if you set it up to do so. Deleting your Gmail account should not have disable Thunderbird.
What are you using form E-mail now that you dumped Gmail? How are you receiving notification from WhatTheTech?
Peter1
I sorted a few things out since the last communication.
First, thank you for the information re: the single file recovery. I use Macrium on my laptop as it is free and bought Acronis for the desktop.
For some reason, Thunderbird did not function on either machine as soon as I removed the my Gmail account.
As an email program in my desktop I use Windows Live mail and Thunderbird is now ok in the laptop.with a new email address.
I have a couple of regular (non installed) email accounts, one of which I use for this forum. As disjointed as it sounds, each serves a purpose for me and is not a lot of work.
I found Gmail to have problems that I read others complained about. I once put an important letter in a saved folder and when I clicked on it, in the inbox, to delete, it also deleted in my saved folder.
WLM has had issues with the subject line as the letters pile up upon each other.
My problem with Thunderbird was that it insisted on using my Gmail address when I tried to reinstall and use a new address. It also insisted on using imap not POP 3. I Gooogeld that issue and it is not uncommon. The Google techs say to click stop at some installation point but it became too confusing. I took the ez way out and used what works in each.
Peter1
I hope this is not a bother but, I have tried Outlook express, Thunderbird and Windows Live mail.
The first has an id box that won't go away.
The 2nd contains old imformation that I cannot remove.
The 3rd has that truncated subject line.
I have tried ccleaner, revo uninstall and have rebooted between each move.
Te email program is the only issue that existes on both pcs.
I have Googled and a lot of what I am saying is happening to others with no solution.
I can't believe I cannot install an mail program that allows me to both send a link and to repy to a hyperlink.
I know registry work by a pro would help but that is not something I can do.
Is there something I am overlooking, such as an ez alternative or…?
paws
Hi, Would it help if I walked you through the setting up of an email address on Outlook Express?
I would be very happy to do this for you and at least you would then know that your basic settings are OK….
To do this I need to know your ISP, and the approximate form of your email address……. please don't post back your actual email address as that would probably result in a deluge of spam……..
Here's an example of the info I need to help you
I would be very happy to do this for you and at least you would then know that your basic settings are OK….
To do this I need to know your ISP, and the approximate form of your email address……. please don't post back your actual email address as that would probably result in a deluge of spam……..
Here's an example of the info I need to help you
My ISP is Tiscali
my email address is in the form of:
[removed]
Peter1
You are a generous man.
I spent all day yesterday setting up O.E. 6 because I concluded my machines were not going to accept T-Bird and WLM.
O.E. seems to be working as mail is going through to both machines.
I clicked, file>send link and also opened a hyperlink.
I was able to 'crack' into the identity box by actually giving my current isp name first, instead of entering the password they wanted, then afterwards entering the current isp password that goes with it.
Anyway, I have;
General - include this account when receiving etc.
Servers >Pop3 and imap done by trial and error. 'Log on' =no check, 'Require authorization' check, and don't remember password.
I changed ports and checked 'leave a copy'.
I tried it several times and it seems to be sending to my email address on both computers.
I am not sure about how to set security though, if there is security to set.
I'd be happy to accept any comments and again, thank you for your very kind offer.
paws
Hi,
1 Keep your machine fully updated with all critical/important updates
2 Always have an up to date antivirus running
3 operate from behind a firewall
4 never open an attachment unless you are sure its OK
Happy emailing!
Regards
paws
Thats what we like to hear…O.E. seems to be working as mail is going through to both machines.
same goes for this…I tried it several times and it seems to be sending to my email address on both computers.
There's nothing you need do specifically with Outlook Express…apart from:I am not sure about how to set security though, if there is security to set.
1 Keep your machine fully updated with all critical/important updates
2 Always have an up to date antivirus running
3 operate from behind a firewall
4 never open an attachment unless you are sure its OK
Happy emailing!
Regards
paws
Peter1
I have done all that you have listed.
Thank you for helping us keep our pc running.
paws
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI