This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, hope this is the right part of the broad to post this. Around 30secs to a minute after i've signed in explorer crashes and then restarts, it tells me to look for updates. I've updated but it still keeps happening. The odd bit is i share the computer with 2 other people in the house and on their side it's completely fine and working as normal with no problems. I'm not the administrator. Any help will be much appreciated.
Just to clarify, is your problem with Windows Explorer, as your subject title indicates, or Internet Explorer? What happens if you boot into Safe Mode? Any errors in Event Viewer?
F8, yes. We don't know anything about your system but under Administrative Tools in Control Panel you should find Event Viewer which may give a clue to what is happening. Look for error entries within just a second or two before the crashed.
Apologies for it taking so long. I started up in safe mode, went to Administrative Tools and found Event Viewer. I wasn't sure what to check so looked in window logs/system. there were several errors. should i check for anything else? Also a couple of days ago my hard drive space went up from around 58-59 GB free to 75 GB free. I looked around on other forums and it sounds like it might be to do with restore point or temporary files. After the safe mode i logged into the other users part of the computer and there's still no problem.
I thought of doing that but didn't want the hassle :pullhair: I opened a new user account and it's fine. Is it possible to transfer my files using a USB stick? or does it have to be done the way the link tells me? I think all of the programs should be accessable through the new account.
Why use a USB stick? You just open two instances of Windows Explorer and select everything from the old account except for the 3 files they mention, then drag the whole selected group using the Right mouse button, not the Left, to the new account and drop it. Select Copy, not Move so the original files and folders remain until you are sure everything is okay.

Or do it the way the MS article says and do the Copy from the old account then Paste to the new account.

All programs will still work and the desktop should be the same after the copy completes.
The original account is now working fine again :smack: Thanks for the advice, if it happens again i'll follow your guidelines. Thanks you :notworthy:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI